Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhawk2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Yeah I never use my regular email for craigslist.
That way, as you said, I can walk away from the deal. Is there any such thing as a fake ibook? If so how can you tell?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Yeah I never use my regular email for craigslist.
That way, as you said, I can walk away from the deal. Is there any such thing as a fake ibook? If so how can you tell?

I don't think there are any iBook imitators out there, it's not really a copied design. But, someone may try to sell you a dying or dead iBook, be weary of that.

jhawk2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
How can I tell if it is dying? Or if it is really old? This would be my first mac.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
What is a mac user group? How can I find out if there is one in my area?
Also what is Apple Care?:eek:

Sorry, I've not been able to check back 'til now.

A Mac User Group is a basically a club of people who own Macs. The act as self-help group, bring speakers in to talk about Mac stuff, etc etc. The one thing you know about a MUG is that they all own Macs. Ask around the computer stores, or check their bulletin boards. They should be good source of advice.

"Apple Care" is the official extended warranty that Apple sells on new equipment. IIRC it runs 3 years (someone feel free to jump in here if I'm wrong). If you buy an iBook its possible it may still have some time left on the warranty. The price of the iBook will likely be higher in this case.

"Unofficial" Apple Care simply means that the MUG usually exists to help each other out. So if you are a member, or buy from a member, you should be able to get some help - or at least advice - should any problems develop.

Good Luck....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.