Where can i get an SSD for Air 2013 13" for cheap

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cathaoir99, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Cathaoir99 macrumors newbie

My Mac fell, about a foot drop and the hard drive is ****ed and I need it for University. Trying to find a replacement SSD but they seem to be ridiculously expensive, is it possible to get one for under £100?

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I think the only option will be purchasing one that was removed from another MBA or MBP. AFAIK, there are no third party replacements. There are third party SSDs for 2012 and older MBAs, but they changed the design in 2013. Several vendors immediately promised replacements, but almost three years have passed and it still hasn't happened.

3. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Apple parts only. Apple decided to quash competition by not licensing it's proprietary SSD interface. So after Mid 2012, your screwed into paying for the Apple drives. Everyone laughed at Apple's ridiculous SSD prices and now Apple is laughing. You'll need to look at eBay for take-off's. Even the resale there is too much. Part of the price for playing the Apple game.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you certain that it's the SSD that's broken and not something else? HDDs are vulnerable to shocks and vibration as they have moving parts inside, but SSDs don't so they can withstand drops much better than some other components. What happens when you try to boot the MBA?

5. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

eBay. But are you sure it's the SSD that's failed?

On eBay search for 'Samsung 2013 128 ssd"

6. robvas macrumors 68020

7. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I think that's highly unlikely. I've removed the SSDs on my 2013 MBA and RMBP multiple times, and both are tied down with a screw and are firmly in place (a bit like when you slot in a ram module).

8. rihia macrumors newbie

Perhaps you should consider trying a working ssd to confirm your suspicion.

A cracked solder joint on the motherboard from your pci e slot could be the culprit!

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

And the SSDs you find on eBay for that model aren't going to be cheap.