Where can I get Disk Tools disk for an LC III ?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by neiljerram, Jan 2, 2010.

1. neiljerram macrumors newbie

I have an LC III that doesn't start up, I guess because the hard drive has become slightly corrupted. --- My mother-in-law said that she switched its power off a couple of times, without using the proper Shutdown menu item.

Googling suggests that I might be able to fix the hard drive by using the Disk First Aid program on the Disk Tools disk that comes with the LC III - but as it happens I don't have that disk. (The original owner didn't give it to me when he gave me the computer.)

So, does anyone know where I might get or recreate a copy of that disk? Or any other ideas for fixing this?

Many thanks!
    Neil

PS. I believe that another option would be for me to reinstall completely using the freely available System 7.5.3, but I am reluctant to do this because there are other things (apart from the system software) on the hard drive that I'd like to keep. Hence I'd prefer if possible to fix the system as it is now.

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

What, exactly, does it do? Do you get a sad mac error code? A bomb? Does it help if you hold down shift while booting (to remove the loading of extensions)? Or does it even get that far?

3. neiljerram thread starter macrumors newbie

The screen comes on and shows a small floppy disk picture, with a question mark, at its center.

I'm not familiar with those, so I think "No".

I don't know. I'll try holding down shift and report back. Thanks for your reply!

Neil

4. neiljerram thread starter macrumors newbie

A few more details: Also there is the Mac chime sound; this happens immediately after switching on, before the screen has completely come on. The question mark on the floppy disk flashes. The mouse cursor is near the top left corner, and moves when I move the mouse. Apart from the floppy disk and the mouse cursor, the screen is plain grey.

Makes no difference at all to the above.

Thanks!
    Neil

5. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Ok, it makes sense now. The disk probably isn't spinning up. The question mark means the Mac isn't finding the drive at all. So, it might be a victim of "stiction." You can remove the drive and try rotating it sharply along the axis of the spindle to shake it loose; but it's going to be prone to binding up from now on.

6. neiljerram thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Now that you mention spin up, I realize that I can hear something that sounds just like that: something starts making a spinning noise, then the noise falls back slightly and comes back again, then after another couple of seconds the noise tails off to nothing. In other words, as though the disk makes two attempts to come up to full speed, and then gives up.

I tried hitting the side of the box as described here - http://everything2.com/title/stiction - but that hasn't helped. So I'll try the removal method that you suggested.

Regards,
    Neil

7. MacTech68, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Might be a bit late, but if you have important data to recover, check my older post here.

If you have one of the drives pictured, then it's probably got a jammed head-park mechanism. From your description of the two spin-up attempts (which are successful), I'd say that's what the problem is.

As stated above, this is a one-time recovery trick only (Unless you feel like removing the white plastic guide but you could do damage to the platters removing it).

Good Luck :)

8. neiljerram thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for my delay in pursuing this issue.

I tried removing the HD and rotating it sharply as David suggested. Unfortunately that made no difference.

@MacTech68: I will try disengaging the head park lock next, per your post. It seems very likely to me that this is the problem, because the sounds that I hear seem consistent with your description.

But, a question first: What do you mean when you say that this is a one-time repair only? Do you mean that after I've done this, I will only have one chance to copy data off the disk, and that it will never work again once I switch the computer off?

Many thanks,
    Neil

9. MacTech68, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Well, strictly speaking, opening a HDA (Hard Disk Assembly - the sealed part) in anything other than a clean-room environment is a no-no and can lead to head crashes from particles of dust or hairs that drift into the HDA whilst dis-assembled. The problem with this particular fault is that each time power is removed from the drive, you'll need to manually unlock the head park to get it going again.

I've only ever done it to recover data (some clients with old tax records or original book drafts etc) and I can't guarantee that any drive will work reliably after dis-assembly of the HDA.

However, my several encounters with this particular model of drive have been successful, but I was never required to make the drive a "working unit" so I've not investigated types of lube or cleaning of the shaft that the nylon arm pivots upon. If you scratched the surface of the disk platters with thee nylon arm you could probably kiss the data goodbye.

Does that make sense? :confused:

PS I'll see if I can find one and get some pics of the "procedure"

10. neiljerram thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's extremely useful; thank you.

There's actually no critical data on the drive; just some nice old games that it would be fun to play again. Spaceward Ho, Maelstrom, that kind of thing.

But I think the conclusion from your advice is that that isn't going to be practical. Instead it's probably time to try to pass the system on to an enthusiast who's willing to buy a new HD and install it with System 7.5.3.

Many thanks once again, to everyone who's helped me with this.

Neil