Where can i get Firewire Ipod Cable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dj BW, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Dj BW macrumors regular

I cant seem to find it anywhere online...

your help is greatly appreciated

~bret

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think the only way you can get one is if someone who owned an older iPod is willing to part with it. The new iPods don't have them, and I imagine that Apple did that in order to simplify their iPod box.

Does anyone know if the firewire cable will work with newer iPods? Will one for an old one work with a new nano or video iPod? That might be important before you mess up your iPod's battery.

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

The 5g Video iPods and the Nanos do not work with Firewire, you can use them to charge, but not for song transfers.

4. iWillard macrumors regular

iWillard

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

newegg has it. your local fry's probably has it too.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So charging won't be a problem right? That means I can keep my old firewire cable and transormer to charge my nano at any outlet:cool:

7. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Yep. I was initially worried about the higher voltage (8-23v i *think*) of firewire damaging the newer 5v USB ipods, but it seems that apple has taken into account the fact that they all use the same dock connector and made them 'charging-compatible'.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

(puts hands together like Mr. Burns) Excellent. Sometimes :apple: makes me so happy.

9. mikehokie macrumors regular

So hold up the new nanos use USB not Firewire?

Haha niice. I forgot about Apple switching it up. Now I don't have to turn my PC (*evil music ensues*) around to put a freakin firewire on it.

Rock on baby!

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well remember, you can't transfer songs using the firewire cable, you can just charge it.

11. mikehokie macrumors regular

I don't have a firewire mine just came with USB.

See sig.

12. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

im about 99% sure that i used a firewire cable on my 5.5G ipod to transfer files off of it.

13. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I think on all the Nanos - first and second generation - it's USB only.

14. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Do you need a firewire -> dock connector or a firewire -> firewire cable that shipped with 1/2 gen ipods?

15. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I heard that the older ones had a V-cable w/ both FireWire and USB cables attached to it but why did they switch to using only a USB dock?

Beside compatibility I always thought FireWire was better for transferring movies and files due to it's constant speed.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So you mean you only wanted USB? USB has come with almost all iPods. I really don't understand why the revelation that Nanos don't have Firewire was so important to you. Care to explain your situation a little better?

17. pengu macrumors 6502a

early on they had the V cable with both connectors, because PC's didnt always have a powered firewire port, and so you used Firewire for Data and USB for power. we've basically come full circle because the new ones can get power only from firewire.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm 100% sure you didn't.

19. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I wish my 5.5 gen iPod came with a Firewire. It transferred songs much faster than the USB. Why did Apple drop FW from the iPod?

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think the reason is that Firewire hasn't become as standard as USB. It is an added (although likely minimal) cost to include a Firewire cable with every iPod.

21. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I guess so. I still believe Apple should make a Mac-specific iPod. It might increase costs of production, but having a Mac-specific iPod with certain features in it would be cool, which includes Firewire for the Mac one.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Frankly, I think that the cable isn't too expensive to include in all iPods. Apple is making a large margin of profit on each iPod. A cable that costs less than a dollar, but that works much faster, is pretty important. Also, where did the transformer go? I loved charging my iPod without having to use the computer.

23. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

first of all: House is the best.

Second: is there any negative consequence of trying. If im wrong i dont want to ruin anything but i kindof remember transferring a file using the firewire cable from one of the chargers because i couldnt find the usb cable. Should i try it? or am i risking something?

nevermind. tried it and you are right. i could of sworn.