where can i get G3 clamshells

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amybunny, Apr 11, 2007.

1. amybunny macrumors newbie

hi guys

my first post so be nice :)
    i have always been obsessed with the g3 clamshells and now i can afford to spend some money i want to buy one - im a bit worried about getting one off ebay - does anyone know of any reputable companies that sell refurb ones with a warranty?

thank you :):)

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

3. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Hello! and welcome to macrumors. About your question, you could get one from ebay, it's safe. :)

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Ebay is a good place to look, but really try and get the fastest one you can.

It won't run Leopard (we don't think), the latest OS coming out in a few weeks, and will be pretty slow generally - so expect no miracles. However, if you like the design etc... then fair enough. I just think you'd be far better off getting one of the white iBooks, probably a G4.

5. AVID macrumors member

AVID

Just dont expect it to be in tip-top condition in terms of scratches, marked keyboards, hinges, cables... notebooks are (from personal experience) hard to buy second hand... - good luck

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MR

You'll find that you get even better answers if you make your thread title relevant to the question in the post

7. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

LowEndMacs' is a great place to get a feel for prices and online stores. I went through the same thing as you, wanting to buy an iBook G3 (Dual USB), but I didn't want to risk eBay. I bought from geeks.com, they don't currently have any clamshells, but they have had them in the past. There is also DVwarehouse.com who has a few clamshells listed from $279 to $349. But, check out LowEndMacs', like mentioned before; they usually have a pretty extensive list. Good Luck. :)

8. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

I would probably recommend you avoid clamshell ibooks. Not just because of the absolutely ridiculous price to performance ratio, but also because the non firewire versions do not support Tiger natively (it requires a firewire port among other features). You'll also find the processor speed terribly slow (I find our old 450mhz imacs barely usable in Tiger)

I suggest if you want a reasonable OSX experience, don't go below 1ghz. Hell apple uses a 1ghz Pentium M in their apple TV and thats 'just' a media box (according to apple :D).

9. infz macrumors member

infz

Wait for June when Apple will announce new clamshell macbooks running Leopard.

........ well, I'll keep dreaming :rolleyes:

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

New clamshells (wanna bes)? There's the Tulip Ego Notebooks
    [​IMG]

Bah! Humbug! They're not Macs. :p

11. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I have one for sale actually... it was my wife's and I bought her a MacBook recently. It is in fine shape. I can't think of the processor speed right off hand, but I know it has a 6 GB drive and 320 Mb RAM. It has a newer battery, and is running 10.3.9.
    It is blue. If you are interested, let me know.
    Geoff

12. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Oh, and it has an airport card installed that I can sell with it if you need it.

13. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I see these all the time on craigslist.

The prices are pretty good, as well, but pricing and availability certainly depends on where you live (since I'd only buy locally through craigslist!).