Where can I get iWeb?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GuyCullen, Dec 29, 2011.

1. GuyCullen macrumors newbie

GuyCullen

I'm new to owning a mac, and before purchasing read a lot about iWeb and for its simplicity looked forward to using it.
    I know it's not bundled in iLife any more but was hoping it was still available on the app store, but i can't find it.
    Does anyone know where i can get a copy, ideally without using illegal download.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like you can still buy the iLife 11 DVD from Amazon.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to find someone, or some company that is selling iLife 09, I think apple skipped iLife 10 and iLife 11 doesn't have iWeb

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

According the apple.com here, it is included in the DVD version.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The disc version of iLife 2011 has iWeb. But with the exception of stability updates for new OS's, it's the same version as the 2009 version.

6. GuyCullen thread starter macrumors newbie

GuyCullen

got it sorted now, went to Genius Bar at Apple Store, and they agreed to install it free of charge for me as I'd already purchased iLife '11 from them. Thanks for all your ideas and help.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

From what I understand iWeb will be discontinued in 2012 and anyone who has a website on iWeb will have to find a new web host and move it. Once you do that iWeb the app will no longer work.

You might want to take a look at Rapidweaver as an alternative. http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview/.

Also if you want your own website, using a content management system like WordPress is actually quite easy.

There are two ways to build your own site with WordPress, sign up for a free account at http://wordpress.com and start publishing content in five minutes.

The other way involves downloading your own free copy of WordPress, get your own web hosting, upload and install WordPress and your off and running.

If you're interested in WordPress let me know and I'll explain it in a lot more detail.

Good luck!!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even if Apple discontinues iWeb, what about that would require anybody using it now to move their web host? Then if you did move to another host why could you not continue to do that with the 11' version of iWeb?

I have a simple family homepage I created with iWeb and host it free on Dropbox. Looking at iWeb settings, I don't see anything that would stop me from moving to another host later.

Unless I am missing something (?), even if Apple kills iWeb there is nothing that would require one to move away from iWeb immediately.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think the only issue would be continuing to waste your time using a program that has been EOL'd. I'd rather find a better solution now while I have time... rather than be forced at some point if the program loses compatibility with a new OS.

/Jim

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Exactly what Jim said and I thought you were using iWeb to host your site. If you're using Dropbox that's fine but understand that you are very limited in terms of traffic.

If the site is strictly for family members and no one else then I suppose it's okay but if you would like to have family participation in terms of comments or messages or whatever WordPress would serve you better.

Plus with WordPress you have the backing of a community that's millions strong.

What you're doing is fine, I just wanted to point out an alternative and something that's is in some ways easier to use once installed and set up.

Lastly, having your own domain and hosting account gives you more security and flexibility and a lot more options.

11. Weaselboy, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I see the source of the confusion now. Apple is killing MobileMe web hosting in June and that is not the same and has nothing to do with iWeb. I think you are thinking of the MobileMe hosting ending.

I am aware of the limitations of my current setup, but it is simple and works for me.

Edit: Just signed up for a free Wordpress account and tinkered around with the settings a bit. It does look like it could be a nice solution for a simple family web page. Still testing.

12. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Yeh I agree with this. Just because Apple are stopping hosting doesn't mean the application will cease to function. When a new OS comes out do old OSs suddenly stop working or do they just stop receiving updates and some online features? Thought so :p

You WILL still be able to use the FTP upload or local file save for as long as you have this application (or until you upgrade to an OS that doesn't support it)

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

That's perfect. Later if you like it enough and decide to get your own hosting you can always move your WordPress.com site easily.

And FYI you can also use your own domain name on WordPress.com. So instead of your-name.wordpress.com you can just have your-name.com.

Just search there help pages for it.

Good luck!