Where can I get my site hosted on Xserve?

Orage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
En Suisse
Hi all,

Any idea where I can have my websites hosted on an XServer? (I'm in Europe, so anything close to home would be great)

Also, in the future (year or so) I was thinking of installing my own server at the home office to host my and my clients' websites. Does anyone know the details on whether I could install OS X Server on a G4, or do I have to have an xServe computer?

Thanks!
Orage

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
Any reason you *need* to host on OS X? And why a local web host?

This is the internet, doesn't really matter what server you are running on unless you are planning on using WebObjects or something platform specific. For that matter, doesn't really matter where your web host is located either - most offer the same thing.

Edit: I was avoiding a plug...but since eD did, I have to recommend Surpass Hosting

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mac OS X running apache, php & MySQL, or Linux running the same. What difference does it make?

I just don't see the point in hunting down, and (probably) paying a premium for XServe hosting when there really is no difference.

If you're in the EU, use American hosting, weak $ = great hosting deals for us ;)

I, along with many others here would put www.asmallorange.com forward as a good host to go with.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
edesignuk said:
Mac OS X running apache, php & MySQL, or Linux running the same. What difference does it make?

I just don't see the point in hunting down, and (probably) paying a premium for XServe hosting when there really is no difference.

If you're in the EU, use American hosting, weak $ = great hosting deals for us ;)

I, along with many others here would put www.asmallorange.com forward as a good host to go with.
isn't the tcp/ip stack on bsd faster than linux?

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
superbovine said:
isn't the tcp/ip stack on bsd faster than linux?
even if it is, that will be overwhelmed by the latency in all the hops to get to your end users, and render time in the browser, etc.

Just don't use IIS though... :rolleyes:

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Orage said:
...[snip]...Does anyone know the details on whether I could install OS X Server on a G4, or do I have to have an xServe computer?

Thanks!
Orage
At least for basic hosting, you don't even need to go with Server. I host my website on an old G3 running 10.2.8. Apache's built in. Slow computer, but it doesn't matter much since my bottleneck is 40KB/sec. uploads. Although, my traffic needs are ... how shall we say, minimal.

Orage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
En Suisse
mcgarry said:
At least for basic hosting, you don't even need to go with Server. I host my website on an old G3 running 10.2.8. Apache's built in. Slow computer, but it doesn't matter much since my bottleneck is 40KB/sec. uploads. Although, my traffic needs are ... how shall we say, minimal.
That's interesting! Care to share how that works?

Thanks!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Orage said:

Thanks!

Just go into your Sharing Preferences, put a check next to "Web Sharing" (I think thats what it says), make sure the outside world can see your computer (that you aren't hidden behind a NAT... if you are, do port forwarding), then finally throw stuff in your Sites folder.

I've never hosted off of a Mac, but I think thats how it works.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Orage said:

Thanks!
To learn how, I think I started here .. searched past posts, asked a couple of my own questions ... this was only a few weeks ago, but I don't remember exactly.

But yes, as Davidleblond said, go into the Sharing control panel and select "Personal Web Sharing." [If you have a router or other such external intermediary between your would-be server and the rest of the Internet, you will need to enable port forwarding so that incoming traffic to port 80 will know where to go.] If you have a static IP tied to that computer (or that router, as in my case), you are now pretty much set up .... but not with a domain name, just with the IP. Users typing in your IP, in other words, will go to your computer at this point I think, but there are other steps to get a www.foo.tld-type address to point there. If you have a dynamically assigned IP from your ISP ... there are sites out there that can help with this, but I have little personal experience.

Next you need to point your domain name to a nameserver that will tell the rest of the world what IP to go to when they type in www.foo.tld. You can set up your own, but apparently it is fairly difficult. I use a free service (everydns.net) with no problems so far; there are other such services. Tell the nameserver that requests for www.foo.tld should point to your IP, set up the proper cname entries and such, wait for it to update (took about a day for mine), and that should be it.

To access your own sites from the server itself or other computers on your LAN, you will need to edit the hosts file (/etc/hosts in Terminal) and assign the server's LAN address to the tlds.

The default directory for your webpage is /Library/WebServer/Documents. Watch the permissions on any files you put in that default directory-- make sure what you want accessible to everyone is.

Next you can set up virtual hosts (I host 5 separate tlds on one static IP on one server), but that's another story ...

I'm SURE I'm forgetting something and/or getting something wrong; a search of this forum and a broader web search will also be helpful. Be sure to check the top sticky in this forum. Here are two articles I at least looked at, though I'm not sure to what extent I made use of them:

www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/08/23/jaguar_server.html?page=1

www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/home_server_home_web_site_799_700_a_month

Lastly, I do host my own sites, but as I said, my traffic is virtually nil: almost all personal, friends and family, plus random hits from the occasional search or as linked from my macrumors profile. I have DSL, limiting my upstream traffic to 40KB/sec., which bogs down really fast in those incredibly rare instances when I have more than one visitor. It can also affect my own web use, since my server and my laptop are on the same LAN, sharing the same connection. So unless you want to devote substantial of your own resources to serving, it might just be better and even more cost-effective to hire it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.