Where can I get RAM from other than Crucial?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBoobsPro, Sep 14, 2011.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Its actually harder to find out than you think! You either get Crucial links, Apple.com links or Macrumors. Any other links that may seem promising just seem to mention memory but aren't actually selling it.

I'm after 8GB for my Thunderbolt iMac.

Crucials website won't work on my computer. If you click buy now it simply reloads the page. I've been trying for days. I've called but I'm on hold forever, as soon as I mention it to 'live chat support' the other person stops responding and I've emailed them last week and still have yet to get a response so it seems they don't want my money.

2. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks. Kingston want £80 for one 4GB dimm!!!! Plus tax, plus delivery £112!!!!

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Amazon maybe? Also, did you check other brands on Newegg?

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Other World Computing has a lot of Mac ram. I don't know who the original maker is, though.

OWC

Dale

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I've ordered a lot of stuff from here including RAM and it's all good quality. I would just look on Amazon and find the cheapest RAM that fits the specs you want, the brands don't make a huge difference.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

When I got HAL (iMac 24 Alu), I doubled the ram to 2-gig pairs. (Who needs a 2-gig stick?)

Got them through Canada RAM.

Never an issue.

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Crucial UK also sell the same stuff at the same price through eBay.

Just search on eBay for what you want, and you'll find the Crucial store. Since it's 'Buy It Now' and not Auction, you're protected by UK distance selling regulations exactly the same as if you'd bought directly from their regular web store.

8. MacBoobsPro, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Hmmm... not having much luck. OWC international shipping charge is almost the same price as the product. Kingston are asking stupid prices, period. Crucials website still refuses to work and they refuse to respond to ANY communication attempts. Im using Safari 5.1 on Lion by the way so its not as if Im using a weird browser.

Newegg, Im probably reading it wrong but, you click on 2x4GB and it says "for mid 2011 iMac" use item number "blah. blah" you go to the item and that says "for mid 2011 iMac" use the item number you've just come from?! WTF?

All i want is 2x4GB dimms for my friggin' iMac!

I dont like eBay because of more than a few bad experiences and so refuse to use it anymore. I thought once I'd give it another go and got embroiled in yet another non delivery and refund fiasco so I simply avoid it now.

Guess I'm stuck with 4GB ram.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Try using Crucial's website with Firefox?

11. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

They aren't too keen on international shipping are they lol. The prices for shipping are crazy. Thanks anyway.

Looks like I may end up doing so (if it works) but I'm not overly impressed with Crucial anymore as all my attempts to contact them garner no response. Even the live chat 'people' simply stop talking when you say there's a problem with the website. Its like they take it personally or something?! Or are they just bots that have no idea what I'm talking about?

So now I have to jump through hoops to buy a product from a company I'm not happy with and who don't seem to want to take my money in the first place. :mad:

12. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Have you tried eBay yet?

I'm seeing 2x4GB for £42 with free shipping - 33000 sales seller, 99.7% positive feedback.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Assuming you are in the UK you could use scan. I've bought loads of stuff from them over the years. They sell Mac certified RAM now:

8Gb (2x4Gb) for an iMac

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

There is a good chance it is a bot on the chat sessions. Even if it is a real person, they are probably trying to maintain 3-4 chat sessions at once. I had a friend who worked tech support for a major PC vendor, and they had him doing that many chat sessions at once. He said it was a pain trying to juggle that many at once.

I didn't see you mention Amazon yet. If you are in the UK, you shouldn't see huge shipping charges from their UK site. I don't know many other sites to check out. Also, I don't blame you about ebay. I refuse to use them or PayPal after getting burned too many times. I really don't understand how they stay in business or why no one has come up with a viable alternative. My PayPal boycott has caused some issues for me, though, as I have seen some good deals in the Marketplace here, but the sellers would only take PayPal.

15. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Like I said I refuse to use eBay anymore and I totally agree with steve2112 regarding PayPal.

Amazon prices, even from Crucial are a few quid more than on their own website. I have now however used Safari 5 (not 5.1) and it worked and so have ordered what I wanted, although I left poor customer survey feedback for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your input guys.

For those interested it cost under £40 for 2x4GB.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

www.dealram.com is the best I've found. I've never had any trouble with RAM purchased form there.

17. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Crucial UK has a utility to identify your exact RAM and offers matching parts.

Crucial RAM Scanner

Most of the UK ram sellers that showed up on a search linked to Crucial.

Dale