Where can I get the 3G version of the Incase Slider case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by felixen, Sep 14, 2009.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Dude whatever you heard is complete BS. The Iphone 3G and Iphone 3GS are the same exact size and dimensions. If a case fits the 3GS it will fit the 3G the same.

The Incase Slider for the 3GS is the same damn case it was when it was out for the 3G. The marketing gimmick on Incase's part was to market it for the new phone, change the paint and add some new colors. Pretty..

This needs to be repeated....if a case fits a 3GS it will fit the 3G exactly the same way. Any gap or error in size is because of Incase crap ass quality control. All sliders fit all Iphones differently, period. Some are loose, some are tight, some are short with a gap, some are not.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Ferris, I believe that the OP was saying that the case is too small, not that the 3Gs is bigger.

The cases are a new iteration. The outer coating is different. I have heard, and experienced myself, that the new cases are in fact a little...hmm..."creaky." They just dont seem to fit right. The older version fit a little better.

4. kicko macrumors 65816

I just bought a black slider (newer boxing) saturday at the apple store for my 3G. It fits mine just fine. I would suggest trying it on in the store to make sure. I liked the coating on the black and felt it would be more durable then other styles. The package was marked 3G/3GS. There is no different model.

As to the size difference there should not be BUT i have seen youtube vids where people put in their headphone into the jack it pushes the phone right out of the case. There is no size difference but there could be a coating or material difference backing of the 3GS.

5. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

word thats exactly what I meant.

is it a trash product/brand though, or is the poster after me just a hater? :D I just saw it get good reviews. anyway if its trash, heres what Im looking for:

- It has to be a "back shield" - I dont want no case that hangs on my belt or stuff like that.

- It has to fit perfectly, I dont need it to be loose so dust and dirt slips in under the cover. I read the Incase Slider has rubber inside, making sure that the phone wont get scratched underneath the cover.

- I want to be certain it doesnt scratch the shiny metal on the side. I bought the ideal-case Elite Metallic which is the worst piece of garbage - BUT it is similar to the style I am looking for.

- I want it to be rather slim (not at all bulky) and kinda discreet. Of colors I like white, black, metal colored and such - no screaming green and funky patterns for me.

So I thought the incase slider fit these wishes, which is why I wanted to buy it. But if yall know of someting better, please let me know ;)

Edit: Aight kicko, cool. I just dont know if the apple dealers over here (denmark) have the cover in store but I could find out. Also, my 3g S is white.. Think that would look stupid in a black or metal colored cover? Its only the top and bottom that shows after all...

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah I understand what he meant, I addressed both issues. The case being to small, and the phone being the same size.

If the case doesn't fit the Iphone, it has nothing to do with 3G/3GS and has everything to do with a manufactoring issue and lack of quality control.

There is NO reason Incase would make the new Slider shorter considering both phones are the exact same size.

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I'm not a hater of a piece of plastic, I've owned many Sliders. They are ok cases, good protection and they hold up well. They do however many times scratch the **** out of your phone bezel as well as the back of the phone if you aren't careful when you remove it.

I just got the Speck Candyshell and while it is a tad larger than the Slider, it is much better for protection and IMO a much better built case with the latest revision.

8. kicko macrumors 65816

no ferris23 is not a hater ;) he like most of us have been around the case block a few times. He has great tips for fixing scratches on the back and bezel of the phone.
    *ferris23 i saw a new case that i think you might like i'll PM.

Incase sliders are what some consider to be the "best" overall case. Much like all cases they have pros/cons.

Slider cases in general given the nature by which the phone is inserted by having its backside slide againt a rubber rail could cause some scratching. Also if small debre (and things always seem find a way inside) get inside it could cause scratching. I always have liked the design and appearance of the slider cases so i said screw it and got one. Mine has been in and out of 3 different cases a few dozen times and i have had no problems, but thats not to say there wont be. That can be said for almost any case.

9. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

alright so you guys are sure the new 3g s version should fit my phone just as well as the older 3g version would?

I also looked at this one: http://www.switcheasy.com/products/Neo/Neo.php

with the little membrane you pull over the back it looks like theres no way it would get scratched. It looks like a pretty cool cover but my only worry is that its too thick. I cant really tell though.

These two covers along with the Griffin Alen Form Graphite are the three Ive been considering the most.. What to do, what to do......?

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Cool, thanks Kicko.

I'm sure any Slider will fit your phone. If for some reason it fits wonky, that means you got a poorly made Slider so just exchange it for another.

It's a solid case, just before you remove the phone blow in the case to make sure there is no debris resting on the phone. This helps reduce any accidental scratches.

The Neo is alright, I had a couple of those. They are a bit of a pain to put on and take off, they do have a tendancy to crack also. They are great for protection and preventing scratches though.

Still I'd pick a Slider over a Neo. I found the Neo to be just a little bulky around the front of the phone and it is prone to cracking if you take it off too much.

11. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay thats good, cause I wanted the Slider over the Neo.. Do you have any experience with the Griffin one though? Sounds like youve tried a few different covers :)

12. kicko macrumors 65816

You can try the candyshell from speck too, i think it offers very good protection but for me a touch too bulky. On my slider it closes completly but i do notice a small "creek" on one side but it's so minimal i dont know if it warrents me exchanging it. I'm happy with it.

I actually located the source of the "creeking". I'll upload a pic later to help explain, fixed with a piece of scotch tape the size of an eraser head.

13. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im about to order the slider. I have found a Magnesium color which I think looks pretty cool. Do you guys think the paint will come off, or will it keep having the Magnesium color to it?

EDIT: Is there a case on http://www.ideal-case.com/contacts that's worth $25? I get to choose one because I bought the Elite Metallic which sucks really, really bad. So they offered me to choose a new one. I hate the Elite Metallic one so, does anyone know if they have something similar to incase slider? I am looking myself also, but its kinda hard when you have nearly no experience with cases. Also its important that the phone doesnt get scratched inside the case, as I could imagine many cases wouldnt prevent this (a little sand corn or whatever and the phone is rubbing against it 24/7 - thats no good). so what do you think? If theres nothing good Ill ask for a refund