Where can I get Tiger?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by richard13, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I found a G3-500 iMac in a stairwell at work today and I'd like to see if it still works. When I boot it up I get the ? icon as if the computer doesn't have a boot partition. I believe this iMac is capable of running OS X 10.4.11 but all I see on Apple's site is the update. Is there anywhere I can get the full 10.4 image or discs?

Thank you.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Downloading images is illegal. The best place to look would be eBay. You want the black retail discs.

3. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Hmmm, call apple up, they might still have a couple retail discs in stock. Last year I was able to get a disc from them

4. Volkstaia macrumors regular

Volkstaia

Tiger is abandonware, apple doesn't sell it. While it IS still illegal, I see no problem, Apple doesn't care about Tiger, or PowerPC Macs anymore. They don't sell it, no skin off their backs. Anyway, use google.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's not about Apple my friend. It's about the mods on the Macrumors forums. You're right. Apple could care less. But the mods here care and sooner or later they'll warn you.

Whether you think that is fair or not doesn't matter either because the mods have authority.

I'm not arguing right or wrong here and what you do off the site is your own business. I'm just giving you the facts as the moderators will see them.

6. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

It really would be nice for Apple to release some of the older OSs and make them available for download. Have they done this since System 7.5.3?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

AFAIK everything from 7.6.1 on up is still copyright.

8. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Tiger is not abandonware. Just because it isn't sold anymore, doesn't mean that it is. The only version of Mac OS that could be considered abondonware would be Mac OS 7.5.3. Everything else is illegal to download, copy, or otherwise distribute.

10. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

I think there are too many third-party components included with the operating systems now for them to make older versions freely available. Though maybe if they really wanted to they could do what Adobe have done with CS2 ie put a line at the top of the page saying it "should" only be used by original licensed users, but then freely providing the images and serial numbers below for anyone that wants them :p

They released a few of the older versions too (6 and 7.0 I I think) but yes nothing later than 7.5.5 (free update from the full set of 7.5.3 disk images that is available).

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

There are too many machines out there that are capable of running Tiger efficiently still. It's a very good system, especially for older versions of software like Photoshop (I have CS2 on mine), iWork, and some other software released in that era. I think the fact that we still have G4s and G5s that are very usable still makes releasing something like Tiger for the public a bad move.

Lets all remember that System 7's last stable release was in 1997. This was a year before Google was founded. It's very unlikely that the people using it today are using it for web based activities and more for text editors, games, and the stuff that people were using it back in the day.

12. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now, isn't that sad that the first thing people think is that I'm trying to do something illegal. I was asking where I could get Tiger. If it is freeware, great. If it's not, I'll surely pay for it. I work in the software industry and would never steal.

For the record, I called Apple and asked if they would sell me a copy. The person I spoke to was very nice but let me know that it is no longer available. He basically echoed what I've heard around that I should check eBay and Amazon. Anyway, while he had me on the phone I tried to boot up the iMac once again. This time the OS loaded! (9.2). After talking with Apple rep a bit longer we came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't worth my while to try and upgrade it. I was just trying to get the machine to boot and to play around with it and having accomplished that I was satisfied.

13. tampasteve macrumors 6502

If you are comfortable changing the HDD then Ebay has a few sellers that sell the HDD pulled from decommissioned iMac G3 and Powermac G4 systems. You can find Tiger, Panther, etc. It seems cheaper than buying the software, but more hassle to make the change.

That would be OK, legal wise, correct?

14. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It may also be worth looking into buying fully-fledged G3/4 PowerMacs or iMac G3's running Tiger & clone the image via Target Disc Mode - most of the time they struggle to make any money whatsoever whereas a set of retail Tiger discs will always go for a decent price.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

In your OP you asked, "Is there anywhere I can get the full 10.4 image or discs?"

There's only one reason to be asking for an image. You claim to work in the software industry. Surely then you'd know that Apple has never provided a disk image for sale.

Not trying to fight, just pointing out why it was seen this way.

16. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Sometimes I wish apple released a new iMac with the Imac G3 design... or iMac G4 design... just for fun... kinda like samsung does hehe

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I might be wrong, but I think you can still buy legacy OSs off Apple by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE.

18. California macrumors 68040

California

I have Tiger discs.

19. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

Just saw some for sale on ebay the other day

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]

Please review the forum rules regarding piracy. Discussion on how to download, or circumvent licensing methods is not permitted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.