Where Can I Learn to Create iPhone Apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by tommoran, Oct 6, 2008.

1. tommoran macrumors member

I get a sabbatical from my job for about six weeks, and I am interested in using the time to learn how to create iPhone Apps.

Can anyone list some learning providers in the US?

Thanks.

2. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

You didn't bother looking far did you?

developer.apple.com

Apple has a whole site full of free software (the iPhone SDK) and tons of articles and sample code to get you started.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

We have a great community of developers here on Macrumors,and a specail forum titled "iPhone programming". Some may have the time to help point you in the right direction to get started. I would also recommend looking at developer.apple.com , join up, and read some of the doccumentation they provide.

HTH

[​IMG]

4. kidlazer macrumors newbie

Ok, so i really want to learn how to do this and i have a PC. I did actually put up a topic with this exact question, and i now know you HAVE to have a Mac.

But, this seems like something to be really cool and be apart of but i just need to know what can Mac external hardrives do and where can i buy them?

or maybe is that too desparate and i should wait for apple to create a PC version or just give up.

5. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

You can find the "beta" of the Pragmatic Programmers iPhone development book here:

http://pragprog.com/titles/amiphd/iphone-sdk-development

I know of a few other books in progress, but this is the first I have seen available. The Apple documentation and examples can be somewhat daunting if you don't have any Mac development experience. As always, Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X is a great starter for Cocoa basics.

Best of luck

6. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

Most external hard drives for the PC will work with the Mac. If you're asking about a system, even a Mac mini should be plenty to get you started. I work from a two-year-old MacBook with much lower specs than the newest mini.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a PC version. The iPhone SDK shares many frameworks with the Mac OS. Porting the development environment to Windows would be a major task. Also, Apple doesn't do many things that ensure they sell fewer Macs ;).