Where Can I purchase Mini DV HDV Tapes?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by superman666, Aug 9, 2007.

1. superman666 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I'm looking to buy a tape that allows recording for HDV/DV. I have one right now but I need another. The one that I have says:
    "Digital HD Video
    For HDV/DV
    Mini DV
    MEDVM63
    SONY"

I'm going into town which has places such as CVS and RadioShack. Do you know who sells them, and how much they go by?

Thanks

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Mail Order For $4.50 A Roll In Cases of 50 + a 5 pack for FREE Shipping

That Sony Tape is overpriced and not as high quality as Maxell Professional HDV Metal Evaporated tape is. Don't buy in stores. Mail order professional tape by the case or at least by the 5 pack box for a fraction of the price in stores.

I wrote about it extensively in post #265 of the HC-7 thread. Did you read it? JK ;)

Buy superior Maxell Professional DV-M63MASTER HDV tape in bulk in cases of 50 or boxes of 5 instead of Sony's inferior $10 a roll consumer HDV tape from Tape Resources in Virginia Beach VA. 800.827.3462

Maxell Professional DV-M63MASTER $4.50 each /case of 50 or box of 5 for $24.75

Never buy tape in stores because they charge too much. This is professional grade Metal Evaporated tape that you can't find in any of the stores. You spent more than $1,000 on your camera. Don't you think you should be using professional grade tape that costs half of what the stores try to charge you for consumer grade Metal Particle tape?

This tape is so hot among those HDV shooters in the know that it is currently SOLD OUT. But the truck is due to arrive with a new load tomorrow Friday August 10.

Also: It's not a good idea to change tape brands and models on the same camera without cleaning the heads between changes. Each has very different lubricant formulas that will goop up the heads big time if you change from one to another.

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

Bestbuy is a place to try, or simply buy them online.

Regular mini DV tapes will work just fine in a HDV camera, its still under great debate as to whether there is any difference at all. The prevailing thought is that if there is a difference it's with errorcorrection, and leads to long term failure.

This forum thread talks about it:

http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=1744

You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth paying the extra price.

Good luck

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just to echo what Multi said about price, you'll always pay more if you buy at a store (this includes taping shipping into consideration). The only exception might be "big box" stores like Costco or Sam's club.

I've been using tapestockonline.com for a while and they've always been very prompt w/shipping.

Lethal

5. superman666 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, to clean the heads do i just buy a head-cleaning tape? Or do I do it manually? I had no Idea I had to clean the heads before switching tape brands.

EDIT: Oh and BTW thanks for all the information, pretty interesting reads.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Yes A Head Cleaning Tape Will Do Fine.

Yes a head cleaning tape will do fine. Don't run it any longer than the instructions say to. Running it too long will damage the heads.