Where can I shop for software for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaypee68, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jaypee68 macrumors regular

I just setup my Mom's new 20-inch iMac tonight and am in need of somewhere to buy some software. I've had a mac before, but I've been out of the loop for awhile regarding Macs and I'm not sure where to shop. My local Best Buy has a few titles, but not really enough. Where online could I look except for the Apple Store? I also need replacements for Print Shop Pro, and Microsoft Works. My Mom used those 2 packages on Win XP and she still has documents in those formats, and I'd like to find software that would still be able to use those files. TIA. :)

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

Hey jaypee68,

I have been using a Mac now for about 6 years, and honestly I can't remember the last boxed software package I bought for any of my computers!

Most of the apps that you will need you can find for free, or purchase online!

I'm not sure about converting microsoft works files, but for word processing you could try -
    NeoOffice - Free openoffice software for mac, works really well and includes all the functionality your average user is likely to need.

Pages - should be a trial version on all new macs. if not in the applications folder under iWork '08 then it will be on the Leopard install DVD.
    iWork isn't free, but you can purchase a key online from the apple store, so you don't need to go anywhere.

As far as paint type programs you again have free and paid options -
    GIMP or seashore - Free opensource photoshop like software.
    Pixelmator - paid photoshop like software.

Google the suggested software for more details, and download GIMP/NeoOffice to see if they will suit your needs.

Other software to try (just my opinion of the best in each category, others will disagree im sure!)

RSS reader - NewsFire (Free) or NetNewsWire (Free)
    FTP - Cyberduck (Free)
    IM Chat - Adium (Free)
    IRC Chat - Colloquy (Free)
    GTD - Things (Free Beta, will be paid software eventually)
    VIDEO - VLC player and Perian (Both Free, and will play almost everything!)
    TORRENTS - Transmission (Free)
    WEB - Firefox 3b4 (Free)

Other software to check out! -
    The Unarchiver (Free)
    Quicksilver (Free)
    SMCFanControl (Free)
    Burn (Free)
    AppFresh (Free now, paid later?)
    AppZapper (Paid)
    TextWrangler (Free)
    VMWare fusion (Paid)
    Flip4Mac WMV (Free)
    Secrets (Free)
    Macaroni (Paid)
    Onyx (Free)
    Google Earth (Free)
    Skitch (Free Beta, paid eventually)
    iStat menus (Free)
    Growl (Free)
    TextExpander (Paid)

Hope this helps!

3. jaypee68 thread starter macrumors regular

What about antivirus? Is it even necessary for OS X?

4. Slumbercub macrumors regular

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

you should always have anti virus software installed. os x is not immune.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Where on earth did you get that idea from?! :eek:

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Uh, you need to up your paranoia meds, friend....

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Here is a list of stuff you may find useful

At present there are NO known viruses in the wild,unless you count a couple of Trojans that you have gotta be stupid enough to download & give your password to install them. The only need for a AV if any is to scan mail so you don't pass on a virus to your windows buddy's

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

The above mentioned web sites are good resources to look for software. If you want local, you can sometimes find Mac software (In addition to a close Apple Store) Best Buy (most but not all sell Mac software), MicroCenter (If you have one in your area), and Frys. I have 2 more in the back of my head but can't remember the names and I assume they might be indigineous to Atlanta.

Remember, if you purchase from a website that has a store in your state your gonna get sucked into paying taxes as well as shipping sometimes.

I'd really examine your needs (sounds like your pretty set there) then determine from some of the above suggested places as well as some of the well known names (adobe, etc) and determine what's right for you.

MacMall is a good place if you choose to spend money rather than go with opensource.

I've found (as a recent switcher) that a lot of software can be downloaded and purchased very cheaply and provide a ton of functionality, and sometimes better support than big name companies.