Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Back in 2011 I had bought an iMac that was delivered with OS X Lion. I don't have this Mac anymore, so sadly I can not create a bootable USB flash drive anymore. I had updated to Mavericks on that iMac (sold it this summer), but I guess if I had done an internet recovery or something like that, it would have installed the original OS of that computer, which would have been Lion.

I never updated to Lion, but instead, like I said, it just came with the new Mac back then. So this means Lion isn't available in my App Store purchases either.

What I have, however, is a Snow Leopard install disc. Is there a way to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion, and get Lion this way? I suppose not, right.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm a little confused. So you have Mac now that came with Snow Leopard and you want to put Lion on it?

Assuming you have a Mac that can run Lion, you can go to the Apple Store here and for $19.99 Apple will email you a code you can use in the App Store to DL Lion. You could do this from a Snow Leopard 10.6.8 install.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
That's weird, I've searched around the Apple Store earlier and couldn't find Lion for sale there. I knew it was there at some point, however.
But I'm using a European Apple Store, so I just changed the "us" in your link, and it still appears, but in my language now. Apparently it was hidden quite well… :)

Do you believe there's a chance of getting it for free? I mean, I've owned it already after all.

And nope, I have a Mac Pro with Mavericks on it, and I'd like to install Lion on a separate partition. But I have OS X 10.6.4 install discs! (if needed)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you believe there's a chance of getting it for free? I mean, I've owned it already after all.

The one you had was free with the Mac though right? You never had the paid version? I guess you could call and beg. :)

And nope, I have a Mac Pro with Mavericks on it, and I'd like to install Lion on a separate partition. But I have OS X 10.6.4 install discs! (if needed)

This will only work is the Pro is an older one that came with Lion or earlier.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Yes it came with 10.6.4 apparently!

Haha yes I guess I will beg when I call them tomorrow. Hope it works ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.