Where can I test out Fusion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, May 31, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Do they have Fusion installed on any of the macs in the Apple store?

Maybe at Frys or Best buy?

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

they have it at the apple store im sure of it

but im not sure about frys or bestbuy whether they put the software on the display computers

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Is there a specific reason you want to test out VMware Fusion? A lot of us have either Fusion or Parallels installed, so we can try to help you out if there is a particular aspect of virtual machines you want to know about.

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I was wondering if anybody with a Macbook Pro 17 inch could comment on how much battery life they have when running VMware fusion.

I have heard that it degrades it, but I could put up with it if I only lost an hour or so.

If I only got 2 hrs max, then I'd really re-consider the whole Macbook thing. One of the main things that attracted me to the MBP was the long battery life.

I will definitely be needing windows to run Msft Onenote, and possible office. Unless Office for the mac is just as good. I have read it isn't on par but I am not sure.

Also, if I just run one program via VMware fusion, would that be less taxing on the system and would I lose less battery life? Or would simply running VMware fusion knock down the battery life.

Also, do I keep multi-touch gestures via tap-to-click and 2-finger scrolling within program like Onenote?

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

You mite want to look at Open Office for your needs. And Parallels is included in the latest Mac Update selling bundle, considering all the apps you get for 50 dollars seems like a good deal for some. In comparison to Parallels & VmWare Fusion, seems like Parallels came out the better.

HTH
    Michael

7. dannomac macrumors member

It does degrade it, but depending on what you're doing in the VM no by much. I use XP with Visual Studio in a VM on fusion and it takes it down to about 6:30 if I'm not compiling anything. Office is pretty much free, takes it down to just over 7 hours. OneNote shouldn't be bad, but I haven't tested it with the microphone attached to the VM (I've only ever done that on AC)

I use VMWare Fusion to run both XP and Linux (And FreeDOS, Solaris etc) for development work. If the VMs are idle they don't affect anything too much, but when they're busy it's just like any other application. It can kill battery life or not affect it much at all.

OneNote shouldn't be hard on it.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Tap-to-click and 2-finger scrolling would be interfaced and translated in the VM as a regular click and scroll, but other multitouch features like pinch, swipe, etc, will not work.

9. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Thanks so much guys!

Looks like I am back in the game! :) I was really sad when I realized I may have to stick with a PC afterall...

But your answers give me hope. I can deal with ~1-2 hrs of battery loss and loss of the three finger swipe.

10. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Hey thanks! Your reply was especially helpful. Do you mind sharing the specs of your computer and whether or not there is much drag/delay when using Vmware?