Where can you find your IPSW?

LaeeqB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I am currently using Windows and wanted to know where I can find my IPSW file so I can save it if I ever get a new phone and want to make it go to 4.0.1 instead of 4.1 (when it is out).

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
There are more IPSW download sources. Softpedia is one of them. iPhone and iPod touch users can use this here link to grab their respective software update for free, then use iTunes to selectively restore to it. Apple's download links for iOS 4.0.1 are also public,see the below:

Download iPhone1,2_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw (iPhone 3G)
Download iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw (iPhone 3GS)
Download iPhone3,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw (iPhone 4)
Another is the all-IPSW download source - felixbruns.de. This source also offers up IPSW downloads that were once paid for iPod touch owners.

The site owner features a short list of instructions on how to restore or update your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Felix Bruns explains: “After downloading the desired firmware below, you can shift-click (PC) or option-click (Mac) the Restore or Update buttons in iTunes. A file dialog will open and let you choose the downloaded ipsw-file.”

Should the browser used to download change the IPSW file into a zip-file, users can just rename it to end in .ipsw and iTunes will accept it, Bruns claims.
could you provide a link to the custom ipsw's on softpedia? I dont see them anywhere on there. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.