Where could I find a programmer to build this

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jonnysods, Feb 13, 2015.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

2. 960design macrumors 68000

That site does not require actual payment integration, I would do something like that for about $5000. If you wanted complete hands off I would charge $150/month for maintenance ( adding new ATVs for sale, keeping the https certs up to date, website server costs, domain name annual fees, ect ). Any web work ( web page additions or changes ) would be billed at $70/hour with a two hour minimum.

I would definitely recommend finding someone local to handle the site build. It's much easier to ensure the site has proper 'local taste' associated with it.

This is NOT a quote, we cannot advertise services at MacRumors. I'm giving you ball park figures so that when you do your local shopping, you have a base to work from.

Be wary of $500 websites, just like you would be wary of a $500 ATV. Doesn't mean it will be bad, you just need to do your due diligence.

3. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

I've built a few prototypes etc... for Ford's B&P when I was at Team Detroit and there was some semi involved business logic. Most of these just a few years ago were build in Flash :mad:, I was prototyping full HTML5 and CSS3 (keep the transitions and taking advantage of some modern browser features and mobile/tablet) B&P but due to the support of IE8 there still needed to be a Flash fallback. With that said this isn't exactly a trivial task but can be done easier with using a JS MV* framework.

Flash was used mostly for RIA or SPA (buzzwords for web apps that don't require refreshing) since JavaScript in IE6-8 was pretty lousy and lacked most of the features of modern browsers. If you don't need to support IE8, or 9, a B&P for something basic could be trivialized building it with Backbone, Ember or even building this with a MEAN stack but that's a tad overkill IMHO.

My personal experience, I'd "HIGHLY" suggest you architect/wireframe the entire B&P experience and design each step (Model | Engine | Color etc...). Also don't forget to gather all the correct image assets; for example all the color options of exterior, different engine models and any others that will be part of the B&P. These are the steps that will allow a developer to knock this out a tad smoother.

Far as maintenance like adding new ATV's, that would be easy to add in with a lightweight CMS or for budget sake a simple JSON config file that had each ATV stored. It would be rather silly and bad business for someone to hold you hostage when adding a new ATV, but that's just me. Solid hosting say though Mediatemple is $20 a month (cheaper if yearly) and it's super easy to maintain domain name ($12 a year if you go MT). Buying a SSL and maintaining it though a solid host is cake as well, verification will be the hardest part.

Far as freelancers cost you have to factor in 1099 and expect a small premium to cover their taxes. I wouldn't hire a local shop for the sake of local or some offshore hack company, find someone who has experience with B&P's or similar small web apps. Make sure they have experience using lightweight JS MV* frameworks or expect a spaghetti mess; memory leaks, errors and people able to exploit the client side especially with JS.

Best of luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

4. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Thanks guys this is hugely helpful. As I was reading your responses and looking around I found this on the Argo website: http://www.argoutv.com/build-your-argo

This has more the feel but with a few more tweaks to it.

I love the MR community, thanks for your input and I may come knocking on your door!

5. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

jonnysods keep in mind you will need some sort of backend tooling to kick off the email, request and error handling (can do on client but always do on server) Far as Google Maps, GMaps can be customized but that gets a little bit deeper in to the API, styling tooltips and adding icons. The link you provided would be great for using knockout.js (not the coolest kid on the block) due to its mvvm (Model View ViewModel) architecture. Great for simplistic ui binding, a solid JS front-end developer should be able to knock something like this out in a few days to a week (testing blah blah).

That's only if you have all the business logic and assets ready to go.

6. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

I know this is a million years later but I wanted to thank you guys for your help. Still waiting on this thing to get a green light, but I feel its close.

7. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Could you PM me your company website? Just curious.