Where could I get a Powermac 9600?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by themagichoof, Jul 31, 2014.

1. themagichoof macrumors newbie

There aren't any listed on ebay at the moment. I noticed that there's a marketplace on this site but I'm not able to access it due to not having 250 posts. There's no way I'm going to spend 4-5 days making that many posts to gain access :p

Are there any resources besides private forums for buying these machines that you could let me in on? I've come up dry for the past two weeks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, you should not figure it would only take 4-5 days to make enough posts. Also, I think there's a minimum amount of time that you need to be a member. I didn't check your stats so I do not know where you stand but I can assume you're a ways off and not just in post count.

I did a quick search for you of the Marketplace and there aren't any Power Macs 9600 for sale currently. Even if there were, there'd be that whole issue of you getting into that section to do your deal. But take comfort in knowing there aren't any sales right now.

Have you ever used If This Then That? (IFTTT) It's an app that is absolutely rad. You can set up a search in eBay and tell this app to e-mail you the moment something pops up. I have it set up for Craigslist for a specific item that has been sold second hand but rarely comes up. That app has already paid off for me...well it is free but it is useful. Check it out and put things together so you're notified. I doubt you need this machine right away, I could be wrong, so patience is something you'll need to have.

I would use eBay and Craigslist for these items and eBay will likely be your better bet.

3. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I second all this. Personally I have gotten all my Macs off kijiji and Craigslist and use ebay to get memory and so forth. Be patient and open up your search area. Also sometimes changing your wording on ebay and these other sites can help, some people may simply write "old mac" as the title of their ads.

Finally, I have seen some on ebay in the past week or so, be patient. Thats how I got my 9600 ;)

4. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I it my PowerMac 8600 on ebay. A guy was selling it for "Parts" because he didn't think it had a hard drive, and coudnt test it. But that was because he was looking in the usual HDD place. Those PowerMac's kept the little internal SCSI hard drive above the power supply of all places. I got it for €20 "untested" from the UK.

I plugged in the Mac as soon as it arrived and to my great surprise, the Mac OS 9 boot screen popped up on my TV! (Luckily these Mac's all have composite video IN/OUT as well as the uncommon DB15 monitor connection.

I later acquired a DB15-VGA adapter, which I highly recommend you get too. Means you can connect it to a normal VGA display and get a proper sharp resolution.