Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I just restored my iPad snd iPhone and all my photo stream pics are gone. Wth. Do I have to tab on iCloud photo sharing?

sunfire7

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I think photostream stores 1000 photos or 30 days old, so any photo past that limits are not in photostream anymore but were on your device and devices where it was downloaded. If you don't restore from a backup those photos will not come back.

But wait for a better response since I'm not entirely sure :)

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
I just restored my iPad snd iPhone and all my photo stream pics are gone. Wth. Do I have to tab on iCloud photo sharing?

All your photos are still there. Photos app has changed in iOS 8 and familiar Photo Stream collections are gone. However, your photos are still there.

When you open Photos app you can view the 1,000 most recent photos. Rest of the photos are still accessible from the Moments view. All photos are organized and segregated by a time period. Tap on listing and it will show you moments. Just scroll up or down to view all your photos.

Last edited:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I think photostream stores 1000 photos or 30 days old, so any photo past that limits are not in photostream anymore but were on your device and devices where it was downloaded. If you don't restore from a backup those photos will not come back.

But wait for a better response since I'm not entirely sure :)

Is that true? Has photo stream always done that? I remembering having the same pictures on there, but maybe i never had reached up to 1000.

Bugdozer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
All your photos are still there. Photos app has changed in iOS 8 and familiar Photo Stream collections are gone. However, your photos are still there.

When you open Photos app you can view the 1,000 most recent photos. Rest of the photos are still accessible from the Moments view. All photos are organized and segregated by a time period. Tap on listing and it will show you moments. Just scroll up or down to view all your photos.

I do not believe this is correct. I have 1,699 photos in my recently added folder from my trip to Disney World a couple weeks ago. I believe that after 30 days they no longer show up in the recently added folder but can be found under the photos tab.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
What is the iCloud Photo Library? And wait so any picture I take on my iPhone after 30 days gets deleted?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
No no, I was talking about photo stream, not iCloud photo library...

The truth is this is a mess :)

Lol I'm so lost. So the 30 day thing was before when we had photo stream? After 30 days any pic over 1000 would be deleted?

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Is there s tutorial or something that explains all the changes to photos?
Don't worry: it just works!

Hopefully once Yosemite is released, and iCloud Drive / iCloud Photo Library / iCloud Drive / Photos / yada yada are all up and running, there'll be a 'iCloud for Dummies' type book. Just what the hell iCloud is actually doing is opaque enough at the moment, and it's only getting worse...

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm just confused because I use to be able to delete a pic on my iPhone and it would stay in the photo stream but now seems I can't and then the 30 day limit

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I'm just confused because I use to be able to delete a pic on my iPhone and it would stay in the photo stream but now seems I can't and then the 30 day limit

That's the question I have. I want to delete pics from the phone and have them stay in photostream, and also delete pics from photostream and have them stay on the phone. I need them to be separate. I'm still searching for a clear description / article on it.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
That's the question I have. I want to delete pics from the phone and have them stay in photostream, and also delete pics from photostream and have them stay on the phone. I need them to be separate. I'm still searching for a clear description / article on it.

Let me know if you find out!!

kbondo

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Oregon
Photo Stream Gone

I have tried to access it under moments and albums…not there! I've lost 1000 pics! HELP

MWB1124

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
I think people get confused because the cloud side of Photostream and the local side of Photostream acted differently.

As simply as I can explain...in the pre-iOS8 Photostream system:

Photos were saved in the Photostream "cloud" for 30 days. In other words, if you turned off Photostream on your device, and then you turned it back on, your Photostream would only load photos from the past 30 days.

Locally, your Photostream would show up to 1,000 photos before overwriting the oldest photos. This means that you typically had photos in your device's Photostream that weren't actually saved in the cloud. They only existed locally and perhaps in your camera roll or an iCloud album.

The new iCloud Photo Library should eliminate this confusion because EVERY photo goes to iCloud and stays in iCloud until you delete it. And if you delete it, it deletes it everywhere. Despite some whining on here, this will benefit most iCloud users significantly.

Last edited:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I think people get confused because the cloud side of Photostream and the local side of Photostream acted differently.

As simply as I can explain...in the pre-iOS8 Photostream system:

Photos were saved in the Photostream "cloud" for 30 days. In other words, if you turned off Photostream on your device, and then you turned it back on, your Photostream would only load photos from the past 30 days.

Locally, your Photostream would show up to 1,000 photos before overwriting the oldest photos. This means that you typically had photos in your device's Photostream that weren't actually saved in the cloud. They only existed locally and perhaps in your camera roll or an iCloud album.

The new iCloud Photo Library should eliminate this confusion because EVERY photo goes to iCloud and stays in iCloud until you delete it. And if you delete it, it deletes it everywhere. Despite some whining on here, this will benefit most iCloud users significantly.

That's cool. I never knew that since I didn't have more than 1000

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.