Where did all my space go???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrrippey, Dec 10, 2010.

1. mrrippey macrumors regular

I have a Intel 80GB SSD as my boot drive and it is almost full. I have been very diligent in not installing too many applications / items on my boot drive (and use the 250GB in the optibay for those things). I check to see the sizes of the folders on the SSD and the total of all folders is about 35GB. Without a TRIM command, is the only way to reclaim the space is to do a backup on the SSD and wipe it clean and then restore? That is the only thing I can think of since we do not have trim in OSX.

Help?

Rippey

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Remember that the folders are not the only thing taking up space. There are many hidden files. Try using GrandPerspective to find out what is hogging your drive space.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Something doesn't seem right to me, as I have the same drive and split the drive into equal partitions for SL and Boot Camp. Each partition is only using about 18-20GB so I still have almost 40GB free.

4. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this. I got some more information and it looks like there is about 30GB used for 'misc' which I have no idea what it is. That is that grey middle section. it does not give me any information on that. the black space is the free space..

any ideas and thanks Dalton63841...

Rippey

Attached Files:

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Make a backup and do a clean install.

6. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was afraid of. Do you really mean backup and restore or backup and reinstall everything over. That would kinda suck since I will have to install a few applications.

Thanks

Rippey

7. grahamcracker macrumors newbie

grahamcracker

have you emptied your trash recently? Even if you delete something it's still taking up the space until your trash is emptied. Might be able to save some space by deleting all the other languages

8. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

This. You can also use WhatSize to find out which folders and where are taking up the most space.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Completely re-install, with a restore you'll bring along everything we're trying to get rid of ... like I wrote before, I have the same drive and Mac is only taking up around 18GB.

10. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

I removed languages and I'm good at keeping the trash empty. I'll just do a clean install and reinstall my apps since it is about to run out of space although 30gb is being used somehow.

Rippey

11. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Like I said before, WhatSize will tell you what is eating that 30GB of space.

12. dime21 macrumors 6502

If space is tight, Xslimmer works well. It strips all the PPC stuff out of Universal Binaries.

http://www.xslimmer.com/

13. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Here we go again....

So a couple of weeks ago, I reformatted the disk and reinstalled everything and had about 50GB free. Nothing big has been installed and now I only have 20GB left. I am thinking of using the TRIM hack but first updating the firmware on my Intel X25M...

That grey area is 27GB of misc data use....

Attached Files:

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

15. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Found the culprits and updated....

Did a few things:

1. upgraded firmware on my Intel X25M SSD
    2. enabled TRIM using the hack that is out there
    3. created symlink to my HDD for my iPad, iPhone back ups (culprit)

Now I have 60GB free on my SSD and all of my big files are on the HDD. I will now put my Parallels image on the SSD so it can run faster and I have so much space. going to dual boot Lion as well

Yippee.

Rippey