Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I know these threads come up a lot, but I honestly cant see where I lost 60Gb. I'll post the biggest stuff I can think of, but I really need your help.

8Gb iTunes Library
8Gb Aperture Library
4Gb App Folder
---------------
Home Folder: 18Gb + 2Gb Apps =
22Gb

so 60Gb-22-10(current space) =
22Gb

I understand OS X uses a bunch of that but how much? Where did my space go?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
if u have apple pre-installed OSX with your machine, thats another 15~20G

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
wow, how does that work?
So does that mean that i should reload OS X to get an extra 15 - 20 Gb ??

That's including OS X, but the iLife suite does take up a lot of space, I can delete the Garageband loops, along with iMovie and save a couple of GB of space. Also, the printer drivers take up quite a bit of space, so you can delete the ones that you don't need.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I have an 80 gig drive after doing a massive dvd archive last week I now have.... 42ish gigs of free space. apps,music, imovie projects,and VMs take up a load of space. :eek:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
wow, how does that work?
So does that mean that i should reload OS X to get an extra 15 - 20 Gb ??

if you dont need garage band, iDVD, iWork, etc, or multi-language support, or many bundled apps, yes, do a clean install will save you a lot of space.

however, if u already have many data and personal stuff on the harddrive, do selective de-install of the apps u don't want will save u some space too, such as:

Garage band, 2G
iDVD, .6G
iWork, 2G

etc

remember to use spotlight to trace down all the related files and folders and delete them, simple drag and drop of apps to trash can will NOT do the complete de-installation.

ivnds

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
remember to use spotlight to trace down all the related files and folders and delete them, simple drag and drop of apps to trash can will NOT do the complete de-installation.

AppZapper is very good at that.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I just realized my "Previous Systems.localized" file is taking up 10Gb. Is it okay to delete this? I presume it is from after doing my Archive & Install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.