Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iApollo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
A friend told me that right after Apple upgrades a prduct, the left over stock of the previous model are sold online in the sale area for discounted prices. I did see this with the iMacs and eMacs this year.
I was planning on sending my kid brother to the site so that he could take advantage of this, but I have not seen any of the old models on the sale page. Whats the deal? Are they sending them to overstock.com?
I just ordered a new model for myself, but like I said I want my brother to get a cheaper one. Does anyone knows if or where they will be selling the left overs of the old models?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
iApollo said:
A friend told me that right after Apple upgrades a prduct, the left over stock of the previous model are sold online in the sale area for discounted prices. I did see this with the iMacs and eMacs this year.
I was planning on sending my kid brother to the site so that he could take advantage of this, but I have not seen any of the old models on the sale page. Whats the deal? Are they sending them to overstock.com?
I just ordered a new model for myself, but like I said I want my brother to get a cheaper one. Does anyone knows if or where they will be selling the left overs of the old models?

Yeah, places like MacConnection and PowerMax are selling them for $899, but it's not really worth it at all. Put that $100 into the new one and get a bigger HD, faster processor, double the RAM, BT, scrolling trackpad, built-in AP, overall newer hardware. That's def. worth $100.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Amazon.com has them for $899 also, along with a $100 off all laptops mail in rebate, plus no sales tax.

You can get an old 12" ibook at amazon now for $757 ($899 discount price - $100 all laptop rebate - $30 credit card sign up - $12 A9 discount and free shipping) Savings of about $300 over a new iBook with tax from Apple.

newton213

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2004
You could always give a call to your local Apple store and see if they have any of the old model in stock and discounted, unless you live too far away.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
newton213 said:
You could always give a call to your local Apple store and see if they have any of the old model in stock and discounted, unless you live too far away.

That's also a good idea, the Apple store I shop at has a discount table in the back with returned or opened items. Last time I was there they had a couple of powerbooks and a powermac under the table at about 20% off. Picked up a open package D-link bluetooth adapter for $19.99, works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.