Where did download files go? and other questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tonie, May 14, 2009.

1. tonie macrumors 6502

Hi, I was wondering how do you located the files that have been downloaded?
    Where do installed applications go?
    How do I locate and uninstall a softwares?
    I have Logitech VX but scrolling is real slow and can't autoscroll when scroll button is pressed. How can I fix this? Thanks

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Username/Downloads, in Safari. Firefox defaults do the desktop folder

Macintosh HD/Applications, to uninstall just drag the application to the trash, or download something called AppZapper that will try to trash the preference files too and App Support files (which otherwise wont interfere with other apps.)

Apple Menu - System Preferences - Keyboard & Mouse - Mouse scroll speed. If the logitech has special features that aren't support by default, drivers or software for the Mac will have to be installed.

3. tonie thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for quick reply madog. I have installed logitech software and some of its functions doesn't work. What else can I do to get my customized buttons on my mice to work properly? The autoscroll doesn't work and some other buttons. BTW, just switch to firefox and it's a whole lot better :)

Edit: I have this wireless software that always pop up when OS starts. What can I do to prevent it from popping up?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

System Preference - Accounts - Login Items are where applications are listed to open at boot.

Through Apple's Sys Prefs for the Keyboard/Mouse, you can pretty much only customize the Apple mouse to a point. It doesn't allow you do anything different with another mouse unless it has software that you are using (or possibly a newer version of Mac OS that can support some other functions of third party mice.). As for customizing buttons with key commands or whatnot, yeah, it would have to be done through a third party program. If it's not working, I would try going to their website and see if there is an update available for download.

5. tonie thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks madog for answering those questions. but i have a lot more as i journey through the OS. Is there a paint software so I can post up some pictures to ask questions about the icons?

Edit: I have an external hard drive that I use for windows but now I can't transfer files in/out when use in osx?

6. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

You can use an app called SteerMouse for your logitech drivers.

For your external: Select the drive and hit command+I. In the window that pops up is the format NTFS? if so download and install this

To get a screenshot do cmd+shift+4 (this will let you select which are of the screen to capture) press space and it will highlight windows that are open. try it you will see. They are saved to the desktop ;)

There isn't a paint program as such, although you can crop using Preview (Applications/Preview Think it is in the dock on a standard install too) (cmd+k from within preview)