Where did iPad HD come from?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bushy162, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Bushy162 macrumors member

There is no way that the upcoming iPad will be called iPad HD.
    And I don't know where people got this idea.

Apple would not be stupid enough to use the term 'HD'. It's like a 5 year old term.
    The retina display on an iPad would take it WAY beyond HD.

HD would be a put down.

There is absolutely no way Apple would understate the resolution.

Ridiculous.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think CNet started that rumor a couple of days ago.

I don't see it, either. The iPad 2 display is 1024x768, which I believe is technically HD. HD is just a marketing term anyway considering "HD Radio" and "Full HD."

Apple called the iPhone with a Retina Display the iPhone 4. I don't get why it would need to whip out the HD moniker for an iPad, especially when so many of the apps that are iPad-only are called HD. That would provide massive confusion, even if Apple wasn't the one behind those names.

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Just accessory makers such as Griffin calling it an iPad HD in their listings.

Just ignore it. Like you said, it wont happen.

4. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I'm more expecting them to call it simply the newest iPad.

5. Bushy162 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah exactly, as you say, it's already HD. Glad we're agreed :)

6. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

Just like iPad 2 was rumored to be called HD. Hence all the HD apps in the app store :)

iPad 3 here

7. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

HD Apps in the app store turned up way before the iPad 2.

From memory, they were originally used to distinguish iPad Apps from old iPhone/Touch ones. This was at the time the original iPad was released.

8. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

The name iPad HD would convey immediately what the main feature of it is.

It makes sense.

9. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

but the screen is like double the resolution of what can be defined as HD, the term 'HD' has nothing to do with a 4:3 2048x1536 screen, it would only serve to confuse customers.

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I wish we could just call it the iPad and move on. If we need to be specific, then call it the 2012 iPad. That's what we do with Macs and it works just splendidly.

11. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I could have made up a better rumor than that. Why would it be HD if HD is being phased out in lieu of 4K?

Besides, the iPad having Retina will not give it high definition.

If you listen to the rumors, you'll end up looking like CNET on "iPhone 5" day.

12. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

But the average Joe doesn't know exactly what the term "HD" means. So for most people "HD" means "It looks better", so iPad HD does make sense since the screen will look better. So no, no one would be confused.

13. snow blind macrumors regular

Well... more than one case manufacturer has it labeled internally as the iPad HD according to "sources" and images like this one.
    [​IMG]

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The general public understands "HD". They think 2K and 4K are kindergarten classrooms. Most people don't even understand what 1080 means except that it's bigger than 720. Using "HD" is just fine.

15. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Well full HD is 1920x1080, The next screen is only a bit higher resolution then that, certainly not double. Regardless of the aspect ratio, the next iPad will be capable of playing 1080p content in its full resolution, even with the letter boxing of widescreen. So I don't think it is that farfetched that apple may brand it the iPad HD.

16. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hope they do call it the iPad HD, simply so I can come back in here just to laugh and point fingers.

17. urkel macrumors 68030

The "iPad HD" name (and the subsequent whining) is pre iPad2.

Whats funny about all these complaints is that if you said "iPad HD" 2 years ago then the "HD" part isn't the word that would upset people. Did everyone forget how awful the name "iPad" was or how cool "Slate" sounded 2 years ago? But look at it now and iPad was a bad name on an amazing product while the HP Slate was a good name on a terrible product.

The point is that people WILL get used to the names of ANYTHING if its a good product so to be upset at it is pure message board boredom.

And speaking of message board boredom, are we honestly going to pretend Apple is amazing at naming?

iPod Touch - You know you got a bad name when 90% of consumers call it an even worse name out of confusion. iTouch? iTOUCH?!?

AirPort - Clever, but ultimately confusing.

Mighty Mouse - Not clever, ultimately confusing

iBook - The name of an Apple laptop that was killed so it could be the new name for Apple sold books?!?!?!

Macbook AIR - The advancements in the Air go far beyond it's weight

AppleTV - Its not a TV and it's name now confuses the concept of a physical Apple Television

Magic Trackpad - Fantastic device but the only "Magic" is how it makes batteries disappear. (zing)

iPad - C'mon, this was an odd name from the start. But the fact that someone making a feminine hygiene joke makes us instantly think "closed minded idiot" is a tribute to how awesome the product is and how unimportant a name really is in the end.

18. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

yeah this name annoys me, countless times i've said to people "yeah i rented it on my Apple TV last night" or something similar, and every single time the response is "Apple make TVs?"

19. RenoG macrumors 65816

Funny I've said that exact same thing to a friend with appletv hey wait, Luke, is that you?!

:p

No but right after they told me what it was like :rolleyes:

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

21. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Definitely something that I've always noticed. I remember when I got the first iPod people were making fun of the name:rolleyes:, now it's ubiquitous and nobody even questions the name.

I doubt that it will be the iPad HD, but we'll see.

22. urkel macrumors 68030

When an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 love each other very much then...

23. Bushy162 thread starter macrumors member

I take the point that people get used to names even when at first they sound silly, but I think Apple go for what is catchy, and what do you think is more catchy, iPad or HP Slate.
    It's iPad. Yeah, it may sound a little silly, but it's catchy.

More to the point, I'm not saying HD would sound silly, I'm saying it's technically misleading.

24. taskmanager macrumors regular

25. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

They should have called it the iPad 3. That way there would be no confusion with previous models.