where did my desktop icons go?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by innocentsheep, Oct 1, 2007.

1. innocentsheep macrumors newbie

Forgive me if this was discussed already, I couldn't find anything when I searched.

Anyway, yesterday I installed two updates, the iLife 08 one and the Boot Camp one [I use Parallels, but I installed it anyway]. So, I followed the instructions, and I'm pretty sure everything installed fine. But now my desktop icons aren't there. No "Macintosh HD" or four other folders I had there. It's just bare, I can't even right click or drag anything to the desktop. I know I didn't lose the folders on my desktop because when I open a Finder window and click on "Desktop" my files are there. I restarted and reset the PRAM and there's still nothing.

What's going on?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Maybe try deleting a file named com.apple.desktop.plist and restarting. The file can be found in your Preferences folder, or via Spotlight.

Is this the only problem so far? After installing Boot Camp it's probably a good idea to use Disk Utility to verify your hard drive too. If the verification finds some errors, then boot from the OSX discs and use that version of Disk Utility to repair the drive. :)

3. innocentsheep thread starter macrumors newbie

So deleting the preference file didn't work.
    And I had no idea what I was doing in Disk Utility, but when I clicked "verify disk" it told me "1 HFS volume checked. Volume passed verification." [I verified and repaired the disk permissions too].

I didn't install Boot Camp, but rather this update. I didn't have a partition previously installed, nor do I plan on having one there in the future. I installed this because it came up in Software Update, and I thought it would be a good idea to have it installed in case I did want to Boot Camp on my Macbook in the future.

It's the only problem after updating. Everything else I usually do feels exactly the same. All my apps are fine and files open without a problem. It's just the desktop that's being a pain.

4. innocentsheep thread starter macrumors newbie

And I hate to double post, but I created a new account and the new account has a fully functioning desktop.

The account that isn't working is the admin account...so is something wrong with that?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it still happening? Try deleting com.apple.finder.plist and restarting instead. :)