Where Did My DVD Player Icon Go?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Howard54, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Howard54 macrumors member

I have a number of movies on my Mac. Up until recently they all displayed the DVD Player Media icon to the left of the file folder name in the Finder. All of a sudden the icons have disappeared and have been replaced by what looks like a blank document page icon. The media still works when I click on the movie title name. Any idea what happened or how to fix it?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Somehow the icon has gone missing in the final release of Lion 10.7.3. I've reported it as a bug to Apple. The icon is still as it should be in Snow Leopard. If you can, copy the icon from a DVD media file in SL or earlier & the paste it on a new folder. You can then bring that folder to Lion & use its icon to paste onto your DVD media files.

4. Howard54 thread starter macrumors member

OK, problem solved. Found the solution on another forum. Apple must have changed the icon name for the DVDMedia app in 10.7.3 so the associations were broken for certain third party apps.

Here is the simple fix, courtesy of another poster:

Copy the app.icns file from "Applications > DVD Player > (Show Package Contents) Contents > Resources" to the desktop and change the name to DVDMedia.icns, then move it to "Applications > DVD Player > (Show Package Contents) Contents > Resources". You can leave the app.icns file in the package as is and not rename it in the package so as to not break anything linked to that file. Now the dvdmedia files all show the right icon.

5. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

Many thanks

Great, thanks for this. I was looking for a solution a few weeks back and I couldn't find a thing. Check today and this post is a mind reliever. ;)