Where did my files go? MBP apparently wiped my drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moral-hazard, Aug 1, 2009.

1. moral-hazard macrumors regular

I have two terabyte hard drives in my desktop. Since I barely boot the desktop anymore, I pulled one out and hooked it up in a USB enclosure.

I was using it to watch movies off of. I made a shortcut ("alias"?) to the drive (which was mounted using NTFS-3g) and put it in the movies folder so that I could access it from frontrow. I had a bunch of seasons of Seinfeld, Simpsons, and Family guy that i ripped from DVD using handbrake, but there was also backups of alot of my Software CD's on the drive. Nothing I can't make again from the originals, but a pain to do.

Regardless, all of a sudden (A day after hooking it up), everything is gone. On the Mac side, I just see a folder labeled "System Volume information". I unplugged it and plugged it in to windows and I just see a couple files that get created by Mac OS ("trashes", etc), none of my actual data.

BOTH sides, however, recognize that only 27GB is free on the drive which leaves me some hope that I haven't lost everything. Does anyone have suggestions for recovering this stuff?

The drive is a WD Caviar Black 7200RPM 1TB disk. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best 1TB drive made from a warranty / reliability standpoint, but obviously disk failures do happen....this doesn't seem like a HDD failure to me though as the drive *seems* to be working correctly. I tested it with HDTune and the transfer rate is still the same, so it seems like something got corrupt somehow (not a mechanical failure)...

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you tried using Disk Utility's repair disk function?

3. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

I doubt it can repair NTFS, can it?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, I missed the mention that it was NTFS. I doubt you'll be able to find a Mac utility to fix your woes, but you may able to do something Windows-side. I'm not the one to ask about that one, though. You may even want to direct your question to a dedicated Windows forum if you can't find any satisfaction here.

5. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

CHKDSK managed to scrape most of it back together. Im backing up the important stuff now...