Where did my first boot iSight picture go to?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zw42a, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Zw42a macrumors member

The first time you boot a fresh OS X after install you're asked if you want to take your new account picture with your iSight (if you have one, like on the MB or MBP). Mine worked out really nice and has a sort of value for me, but now comes the problem:
    I can't find it on my HD. I looked in a lot of places, searched with Spotlight but still couldn't find it.

Anybody who knows where it' stored?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am having the exact same problem. I took a pic of myself after a fresh Mac OS X install, but I cannot find the pic anywhere, and it isn't being used as my account picture either :confused:

3. msharpmu macrumors regular

I think it is stored in the picture folder. Open up your finder and click on the picture folder on the left. The their is a folder either next too or inside iPhoto called iSight. Does that work b/c thats where mine go.

4. Zw42a thread starter macrumors member

Nope, it's not a normal folder (like the Pictures or User Pictures folder). I looked via Spotlight for GIF, PNG, JPG but it's not there...
    It has to be somewhere since it's my user picture in the login menu and even iChat uses it as the standard picture.

5. muusevic macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. I also wanted to use this first boot picture and can't find it anywhere. Does spotlight find hidden files? Possibly this picture is hidden somewhere in the library, but spotlight couldn't find it...

6. muusevic macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply, but once i drag it out of the addressbook, it's of a very little size... It's not the original resolution of the iSight (640x480). It's now 30x30 or so...
    is there no other possibility?

7. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

It isn't by any chance stored in your Photo Booth application is it?

8. muusevic macrumors newbie

No, unfortunately it isn't. Spotlight can't find it anywhere eather...

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

nah the folder is called "Photo Booth". muusevic is the picture in there?
    also try this. open finder and press command-shift-g then copy and paste this directory in "/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources/". me thinks it could be in there.

10. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Open up /Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager. Navigate to users and then your username. Scroll down. There should be a property named picture which lists the location of your user icon.

Attached Files:

11. muusevic macrumors newbie

First of all, thanks for the reply, but it isn't in that folder you posted obove...

It has to be in some package or so, because i checked all picture formats in spotlight and didn't find it, but it as to be somewhere...

12. muusevic macrumors newbie

hmm, i sort of found it now with this netinfo thing. i followed the path of the bottom of that lower box, but could only find a small res. picture. seems so that the original isight resolution pic is gone?!

13. mrMacDaddy macrumors newbie

bankshot's solution works if you didn't commit my curiosity error. :(

I've had my original boot pic (like the original poster Zw42a mentioned) for about 10 months now. But 3 days ago out of curiosity, I clicked the Account Picture button in Photo Booth and overwrote my original account picture. So com.apple.user501pictureCache.tiff shows my current pic.

Can I recover my original pic?

14. eonaeon macrumors member

NetInfo Manager is no longer part of Leopard - can anyone who hasn't changed their Account picture and is using earlier than Leopard, please tell me what the location of the picture file is?

Or alternatively, does anyone know where to get the the above information in Leopard, without NetInfo Manager (the Wikipedia page isn't very helpful on this topic).

15. eonaeon macrumors member

Ok, after a bit of reading, I worked it out, the following shows the same thing that the old NetInfo Manager showed:

Command Line:
    dscl
    ls
    cd Local (or whatever)
    ls
    cd Default (or whatever)
    ls
    cd Users
    ls
    cd YourAccountName
    read

then it shows the following:

Picture: /Library/Caches/com.apple.user501pictureCache.tiff

Unfortunately that is the smaller version of the picture, not the original full sized image that was taken, which is a shame.

16. mikelly321 macrumors newbie

first picture

I was more concerned with replacing rather than finding mine. reading the above, i went to photo booth and happily replaced my account photo with a less sleepy, first time opening new macbook, oh no it's time to take that damned first picture time again, look on my face. now my email is far less scary.

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha you dont have to have your picture as your account picture. i generally dont wont my face to be seen on my emails so i have a popart picture of my skateboard.