Where did my hard drive available space go? (And other problems...)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by d0uble3m, Feb 20, 2012.

1. d0uble3m macrumors newbie

I partitioned my hard drive to for bootcamp last week (100GB) and then decided that I didn't want it anymore, so I attempted to remove the partition. Now, whenever I start my computer it seems boot to an empty partition - I just get a black screen that tells me to insert a disk (or something of that sort). For some reason that is the default - I have to hold the "option" key to be able to boot up to my Mac side. It looks like I need to change the default boot disk - I could do this on a PC, but don't know how to on a Mac.

My biggest problem, however, is that even though I got rid of the second partition, I haven't seemed to get back the 100GB. When I go into the Disk Utility it shows that I have 499.76GB Capacity, but only 359.3GB Available and 39.7GB Used. (I am assuming that Capacity should = Available + Used, other at least close to) Where did the other 100GB go and how can I get it back?

I used the disk utility and did the "Verify Disk" tool - and it came up with no problems. I'm not able to click the "Repair Disk" button, so I tried to use the OSX Install disk to do the disk repair, but it freezes and I hear intermittent alarm beeps whenever I try to boot from a disk. I checked my RAM and everything is in snug and installed correctly. I ran the Hardware test (Bootup + "d"), and it came up with everything fine.

I'm at a loss on what to do. My computer runs absolutely fine other than these two things.

(I bought my iMac last summer ('11) - 2.5Ghz 12 GB RAM, so it's still under warranty...)

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2. simsaladimbamba