Where did my network go?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacChris, Jan 1, 2008.

1. MacChris macrumors newbie

MacChris

I just upgraded to 10.5X and now I do not have the ability to locate an old PC I have on our home network for some file storage. The file was located in finder as a network device I believe and now there is nothing available. I as well can not locate the other PC's while using my Mac w/Leopard that are shared on this network. I have searched and can't even see where the network is located. The server unit is available to the other 3 PC's in the house but I can't find it with my Mac. I noticed that the Time Machine window has an on/off switch thing that makes it look for alternative drives to store info. When I turn this to on, it does locate anything either. Any ideas?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the time machine on/off switch wouldnt have anything to do with making your pc server show up. you can try using the connect to server (10.4 and before way) to connect to your shared docs. press command-k in the finder and enter "smb:\\pc IP address\pc shared name".

i had trouble making my pc show in the finder sidebar automatically without using the connect to server method i.e. the new leopard way with the BSOD icon. i ended up re-entering my pc workgroup name into system prefs->network->advanced->WINS and this made it appear. also make sure you have file sharing ticked in sharing in the system prefs.

EDIT: also try installing bonjour for windows and opening port 5353 on your pc's firewall.

3. MacChris thread starter macrumors newbie

MacChris

Thanks, tried all and no luck though. any other suggestions?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im not sure sorry! my last ideas are maybe try and relaunch the finder by option right clicking on it in the dock and make sure your pc is awake and connected to the network.

5. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

man oh man. im having the same issues! This is frustrating as this wasnt a problem with Tiger and they said Leopard was suppose to make networking easier....

the funny thing is, it works no problem on my MacBook (wired and wireless) but my PMG5, cant see my PC's....But it does see my MacBook (again, wired or wireless) :confused::confused::confused::confused: