Where did my photos go?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FelicityW, Apr 20, 2015.

1. FelicityW macrumors regular

I had an iPhoto library of about 10,000 photos. I migrated to Photos and it shows the correct number, but the photos end in 2009. Where are all the photos from the past 6 years?

All my albums are missing too.

I knew it would not go smoothly (no migration with Apple has for years, and none involving iPhoto), but I remain hopeful this can be fixed easily...

2. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

You may find your photos in this location:
    /users/'name'/pictures/iphoto library.photolibrary/Master

For the new Photos app for Mac is:
    /users/'name'/pictures/photos library.photoslibrary/Masters

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well if the number is correct but the last date is 2009 then it sounds like some/all have been wrongly dated on import, if they were really missing your total number would be severely off wouldn't it?

4. FelicityW thread starter macrumors regular

Turns out, I had two photo libraries. Somewhere in 2009, a second photo library was born. I did get a new computer that year, and perhaps a new iPhoto version was released then as well. It was (and still is) very weird because it was not findable by looking in Finder; it was only findable by the Photos upgrade/migration tool. In other words, querying on the term 'photo library', only one file came up. But, during the migration process, two libraries came up, both with a path from the 'Pictures' folder. Unless I could have two 'Pictures' folders.... The Apple tech who was screen sharing was very curious too but we didn't have time to try and figure it out — and the core issue had been resolved.

5. therocksal macrumors newbie

This is why I would never save photos under Apples folders or system. I always use an external drive to save all my videos and photos on an ex-fat file system so I can use them with any computer.

6. graley macrumors regular

Photos

I had success by starting Photos while holding down the option key, selecting the library, which you have noted in the Pictures folder, if not using external drive. Wait for the conversion. But I don't think an edited photo in iPhoto will move to Photos. It seems you choose Photos and stick to it.