Where did my SPACE GO with 2.0.2???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFC Archer, Aug 19, 2008.

1. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Hmmm...OK call me paranoid, call me suspicious or even call me stupid but someone please explain where my Hard Drive space went???

I have an 8 gig iPhone which equates to: 8000 mb
    2.0.2 download equates to: 248.7mb

Total Left: 7751.3mb

Restored w/new update....Other= 196.2mb

Total Left: 7555.1mb

Why then do I only have 6.89 gig left of space on my iPhone???
    What is taking up the 665.1 mb?

I have had my classic since iDay 2007 and have never, ever had a problem with installing updates. Even 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 installed without a hitch although with each update since 2.0 it starts reminding me of Microsoft Vista and the major bugs that are prevalent.

To fix those bugs I decided to do a Restore about 2 weeks ago and got my first ever error...1602. After a long battle with trying to get iTunes to see the iPhone I finally ended up using DF mode and using 2.0.0 update then doing a upgrade to the 2.0.1.

Last night, I download 2.0.2 and update. Second 1602 error. Of coarse now I know the system and get it back up and to the restore mode. I tried to restore to my back up from prior to the download. 1 hour 42 min later iPhone is done but iTunes still shows the restore window. I shut down iTunes, turn off iPhone...Plug all back in says need to restore iPhone. Start again, hangs halfway through after 2 hours. Start again, hangs 1/3rd of the way through and after over 5 hours of trying to restore with my backup I give up and just restore as a new phone. Once restored I get the above numbers and start asking questions.

When did my problems start?
    What Apps was I using that could cause problems?
    What Apps was I using that could eat up space?

My answer, based on my iTunes receipt and deduction, there are two Apps that I was using that fall into this category:

PicVault
    DataCase

Both store files on the drive, both were used after 2.0.1 was installed on my iPhone although PicVault would be the closest because of when DataCase was released and purchased.

The Question now becomes: During the install of any update it basically uninstalls all the "software" that was on the drive and then writes the new update over the top. Is it possible that the apple software is coded to remove the old software and apps that any stored files (in this case .jpg's) could be left behind and are now sucking up space???

Could those "orphaned" files be the root cause of why the iPhone will not back up anymore? Could those files be the cause of the 1602 errors?

I have no clue and have come to my fellow users for some hard thought out answers and analysis. I only know that I am missing half a gig of space, I am tired of restoring and getting really ticked off with these worthless updates that seem to be taking us back in time. I have come to the conclusion that any future "firmware" updates can just wait and I will just do the x.x updates.

Any "Constructive" criticism and/or answers would be appreciated.

Gary

Attached Files:

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

Not sure where your Hard Drive space went as there is no Hard Drive in the iPhone.

But to answer part of your question - Your initial assumptions are wrong

It doesn't. Its called Disk Overhead/Capacity Measurements. Link

8GB iPhone = 8,000,000,000 bytes = 7.44 to start

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

AND, if you took a quick look at your picture... its 7.08GB of space. :)

4. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I already understand that...still missing 111.3 mb

You are correct in the way that I posted. What I forgot to mention is that the 196.2 mb that are taken by other plus the 111.3 above are what? The phone is completely restored and had not been sync'd to load anything else. I have additional screen shots and iPhone screen shots that prove it all with the time.

The 196.2 mb of other is unknown along with the 111.3 mb that are unaccounted for=307.5mb that I am not able to use for what ever reason.

Again, I am not asking for smart ass remarks, I am just trying to figure what is going on along with all the broke software updates.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

6. supraboii macrumors newbie

Software?

well i think the other missing memory might be the iPhone software, not saying that's it, but that's what im guessing. ;)

7. aphexii macrumors 6502

Thats after the OS is installed as well. 7.44 - OS Install = Usable Space

As for the Other, i'm not 100% sure what's contained within that area, but i'm fairly certain the OS install is taken out of the total before it shows the total space. I was just trying to get him started from the right place as its not 8GB to start, its 7.44 before the OS. 7.08 after.

As for the other missing space, no idea.

8. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Correct....I subtracted the new update (248.7mb) from your quoted 7.44 which leaves 7191.3. It states that there is 7.08 remaining...thus leaves 111.3 unaccounted for.

...and I still for the life of me cannot figure out WHAT the "Other" is. I have not sync'd at all...NO contacts, bookmarks, music, video....all boxes are unchecked. Before 2.0.1 it was always completely blank...no space used until sync. I wonder if it is just mine or are others seeing the same?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

9. aphexii macrumors 6502

While the download for the latest firmware is 248.7 MB, I believe its a compressed file that is extracted when you begin the update process. This could easily add another 111.3 MB to the total size of the OS depending on the level of compression.

10. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

That's a good point that I did not consider...if it is compressed. You are probably right and I can accept that.

However, it is the 196 other that does have me asking questions because I did not put it there and all software is accounted for and should not show as other.

Thanks for the link BaldiMac...I will do a fresh install of iTunes before the next update and hopefully it all goes away.

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The 111 Mb that you are looking for is part of the space reserved for the operating system. Just because the download is a certain size, does not imply that the installation is the same size. Compression, install files, device specific files, and space for a swap file could all be taken into account.

That leave 7.08 Gb for user files as shown in the capacity bar. The 196Mb of "Other" is the big question. From what I have read, the "Other" category can contain your iTunes Library file, album art, downloaded applications, and database files. On a fresh restore, the most likely item to be in the space would be your library file. Could be the downloaded apps, too.

12. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Can't be...i restored as a new iPhone and did not sync. So there would be no album art or apps because I did not put them on yet. I also know that once you sync the other is data and art that is not covered by one of the other categories. However, you must sync for it to fill.

Agree with you apexii about the 111 and explained that above.

13. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

i think this is the case, but that's just me....:rolleyes: