Where did my text go?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GraphicOutput, Oct 30, 2007.

1. GraphicOutput macrumors newbie

I hope this is the right place for this. I went to the Apple support forums, but so far I've got no replies, and I really do need to use my computer today so I thought I'd come here and ask the same question I did there.

This is a problem I've been seeing ever since the first day I turned on my new iMac, but it's never given me enough trouble to bother asking about it until today.

[​IMG]

Before today, it would just drop the "I's" or "G's" in a paragraph, and a simple restart of the application would fix it. However, as you can see in the image above, it's gotten pretty bad, and I'd like to know what's actually going on, and maybe find out how to stop it from happening.

This is unbelievably annoying. So far, it's happened in Firefox, Safari, Camino and iChat. It occurs on most websites (however this forum displays correctly, thank goodness). I'm at my wits end here, and I don't know what to do.

Help!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I seem to remember hearing an issue like that mentioned once before, but I can't find the reference now and I've never seen it personally.

Could be corrupt fonts, or perhaps a conflict if you installed any additional fonts. Did you install anything new (or remove anything, for that matter)?

You could also try taking a look at Font Book and seeing if you have the Helvetica Neue or Helvetica Fractions fonts installed; if so, try disabling one or both. Worth a shot, anyway.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You should search the forums a little bit (I searched for "font" and found a couple discussions that may pertain to you. Try other search keywords too though.). I've seen this problem posted before. Comes up about once a month, but there seems to be separate solutions caused by different issues so you'll have to play around with solutions you find too see what works.

When you find a solution though, try to post it back here to make it easier for other people to find the solution when they search.