Where did Siri go?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dario D., Oct 12, 2011.

1. Dario D. macrumors newbie

So, I uninstalled the Siri app on my iTouch, then installed iOS 5...
    After I realized iOS 5 doesn't offer Siri on the iPod Touch, I went to reinstall Siri from the App Store, and couldn't find it. It's also not in my iTunes, or my list of previously downloaded apps (in the App Store).

Is there a way I can get Siri back on my iPod?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Even if you do get the Siri app back, it won't work after October 12th.

3. Noisemaker Guest

Apple bought Siri (the company).

Apple expanded on Siri's work, creating the new, totally different Siri for the 4S.

Apple let the Siri (the company) servers continue on through the 12th, allowing the Siri App to continue to function.

Apple now will shut down the Siri servers, making the app defunct, as they aren't going to foot the bill to keep sub-par servers up to run a sub-par application that happens to share the name of their brand new feature.

4. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

5. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

Yes Siri will only run on the iPhone 4S, for the time being.

6. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

Siri, which used to work on iOS 4, is now going to work exclusively on the iPhone 4S. Bummer.

I have an iPhone 4 and am not planning on upgrading so I'm using Vlingo as a decent substitute.

Really, the only truly useful feature of Siri, for me, is to be able to send a long text message while driving. Vlingo can accomplish this (and a lot more) adequately.

7. Noisemaker Guest

You've had this explained to you a dozen times already, yet you keep posting this kind of crap. :rolleyes:

Apple bought Siri - the company making the Siri application. They expanded on the Siri technology by a huge amount, designing it as something integrated into the 4S.

It IS NOT the same Siri that the app had. It NEVER ran on iOS 4. The name is the same, but that's the extent of it. What you see on the 4S is far more advanced.

Apple isn't going to keep footing the bill to keep the sub-par Siri application running on the Siri (company) servers. That would be like someone leaving a riding lawn mower running when they're going to be driving a Bentley.

Siri's lead developer himself said that for the Siri app they had to majorly cut corners to make it work on the hardware they had at the time. To run something that's far more advanced, the 4S is a necessity.