Where did that come from! WP7 beats iPhone in China

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by thejadedmonkey, May 17, 2012.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

From another forum I frequent:

I'm not sure what to make of this. I have a WP7 device and love it, but quite frankly I'm shocked that it managed to beat out the iPhone in just 2 months.

Maybe there's still hope for Windows 8 :rolleyes:

2. smoledman macrumors 68000

I think it's a bogus report. How could that be when iPhone sales in China are off the charts, crazy well. Windows Phone is doing decently, but not that well. I don't believe that report for a second.

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Possibly Russia too.

http://hexus.net/mobile/news/windows-phone/39601-windows-phones-outsell-iphone-q1-china-russia/

Colour me surprised. It is good to see some positive news for MS IMO.

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

If it's not good news for Apple it must be false!

5. Tinyluph macrumors regular

Idk if the numbers are true but it seems odd given the massive amount of demand for the 4S in China not too long ago (and all the rioting/hawking that was going on).

6. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

There's enough population for more than one phone to be popular!!

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

What does Windows 8 have to do with the Windows Phone? Windows has dominated the home computer market for 20 years, and will countuine to do so.

8. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Critics' arguments go something like this: Windows Phone is a flop, and it uses the metro interface. Therefore people don't like the metro interface, therefore Windows 8 will flop too.

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

You do realize Windows 8 has an option to go back to a Windows 7 like Desktop right?

I highly doubt Windows 8 will be the Death of Windows.

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

An Apple fanatic friend of mine decided to try out the Nokia WP7 top end phone. He bought it.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Population has nothing to do with it. We're talking share, not gross sales.

For a product to have a vastly greater market share in one place compared to all others, is unusual.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Although not the same thing as Windows Phone, Windows Mobile was quite popular in Russia for years.

Heck, some of the best WinMo homescreens and tools came from SPB, a Russian software house.

We were using SPB's predictive Full Screen Keyboard for Windows Mobile devices back around 2002, a half decade before the iPhone came along with a large enough screen to do it all the time. The SPB version took over the entire screen in landscape mode, allowing full touchscreen interaction without the need for a stylus or hardware keyboard. On the common 320x240 2.8" screens back then, it made a huge difference.

spb_keyboard.png

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

He wasn't saying that was his view, he was saying it is the view of other people. To be honest nearly any point I've seen made against the Windows 8 design comes from a basic lack of knowledge. People see the Metro interface and think that's all there is too it. They see the desktop screen and assume Metro is just a skin on top of Windows 7. If people gave it a chance, I'm sure many would find the changes to be the smartest way for MS to proceed.

14. smoledman macrumors 68000

Windows 8 is so much more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8

Anybody who isn't a hater/troll should read that and weep.

15. velocityg4, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It has two big pluses going for it. Windows Phone 7 is easy to use (at least much easier than Android or Blackberry) and new units can be had unlocked and off contract for much less than an iPhone.

If MS plays the integration game right Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 can be quite formidable.

16. DingleButt macrumors regular

I run Windows 8 as my daily for the most part and I was indifferent to the new stuff coming to the desktop side like the new Windows Explorer with the Ribbon at first, but it's all actually really handy. They give nice Move To/Copy To functions in the Ribbon, the new Copy info stuff is nice and how it groups it like OS X, along with native ISO mounting finally.

I cant wait for the Release Preview to see the new stuff/visual style for the desktop and then Ill be up for an upgrade on my phone and I can get a Windows Phone 8 device to go along with Windows 8 probably.

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

this.

I think Windows Phone 8 will go somwhere, I think Windows 8 on Tablets will be very good. And Windows 8 WILL dominate the Home Computer market.