Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Hi Guys,

Still in culture shock from moving to a Mac...

I downloadad various items of software from Garmin. They appeared on my desktop as DMGs.

I opened them and installed the software within.

Then, rather than delete one, I unmounted it. Where did it go? Is un-mounting it the same as deleting it?

Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi Guys,

Still in culture shock from moving to a Mac...

I downloadad various items of software from Garmin. They appeared on my desktop as DMGs.

I opened them and installed the software within.

Then, rather than delete one, I unmounted it. Where did it go? Is un-mounting it the same as deleting it?

Thanks.

Should be in Downloads in your home Folder.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Aaaaah! Thanks guys.

The last thing I was struggling with was Delete. I eventually found Move to Trash. D'oh! :eek:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Aaaaah! Thanks guys.

The last thing I was struggling with was Delete. I eventually found Move to Trash. D'oh! :eek:

A quicker way to move a file/folder to the trash is Command-backspace and to empty the trash is Command-Shift-Backspace.

Also, your downloads folder should be in the Dock (Default) next to the Trash.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks guys.

I do have one DMG that is only on the desktop, and isn't in the Downloads. I just unmounted it, and now can't find it anywhere. Has that one been deleted?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Thanks guys.

I do have one DMG that is only on the desktop, and isn't in the Downloads. Has that one been deleted? I can't find it anywhere.

Think of a DMG as a self contained CD in a box. When you double click one, you're "mounting it" and making the OS think you just inserted a CD. Then the folder appears and you access the files that are on the "disk." Then you unmount it and the file folder goes away. You're left with the DMG file to trash/delete or keep to remount another day if necessary.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks guys.

I do have one DMG that is only on the desktop, and isn't in the Downloads. I just unmounted it, and now can't find it anywhere. Has that one been deleted?

Try to search with Spotlight, where is the download from, if it's from Software Update it won't be in the Downloads folder.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
It was Garmin MapInstall. Spotlight brings up the installed application, but not the DMG.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Ah! I think I've worked it out.

I must have deleted it from Downloads, but it was still mounted, so it appeared on the desktop. When I unmounted it, it was already in the Trash.

I think. :eek::D

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Ah! I think I've worked it out.

I must have deleted it from Downloads, but it was still mounted, so it appeared on the desktop. When I unmounted it, it was already in the Trash.

I think. :eek::D

You'll learn;)

Edit: It is probably set to remove downloaded programs,zips, dmg and so on, there is a settings to change this behaviour, can't recall now where it is, might be in safari, I will look it up.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    93 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.