Where did you buy and why?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by olindacat, Jan 7, 2019.

1. olindacat macrumors regular

olindacat

I ought to know but am asking anyway. Where and why?

Specifically, I'm asking about the MBP 15". I feel like the sucker at the poker table who doesn't know he's the sucker! Many threads here about BH's return policy, Best Buy, Amazon, etc., but I wonder: why would Apple let me buy their own product for less than they sell the same product for in their own store?

On the surface, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure seems like current new units on eBay, at BH, are to be had for roughly $300 less than Apple.com. I've returned stuff to BH and they track you closely for returns but quickly forget your purchases.

Apple's no questions return policy is pretty good. The whole store scene is pretty brutal IMHO, but necessary unfortunately (for me, everyone's mileage varies, right? :).

Anyway: perhaps others ready to buy are also just curious if there is one great, killer place to get a better-than-Apple.com deal on a MacBook Pro and not get hosed, gray market, no AppleCare, whatever. Just checking to make sure I'm not an idiot if I walk to the Apple Store and buy direct. Thanks.

2. a2jack macrumors newbie

a2jack

--- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2019 ---
    I too have this question.

7 mac family here, mix of mostly oldies, 09's to 2012's, but getting ready for big pop new (modular,LOL) Mac PRO.

I can beat the state sales tax by buying from a vendor with no physical presence in my state, but who are these guys, and can I really buy current Apple products from them at a discount ?

3. jmiddel macrumors regular

Just bought a Mac Mini from eBay with 15% coupon. No problems with the transaction

4. Nbd1790 macrumors member

I typically prefer to purchase Macs from a well known company that has been in business for a while. Sometimes, this fact alone is worth the premium it may be over another retailer (although, most large companies will price match). B&H is great because they carry brand new models from the previous model year at a VERY generous discount. All of those models are also still eligible for Applecare.

The only downside, is their return policy. There's no "buyers remorse" return to exchange for another model. They'll exchange the computer if its defective, but not if you're looking to exchange for another model. Apple, Best Buy, B&H and Adorama are the best places to buy. Apple and Best Buy will offer you the most lenient return policy.

5. akidd macrumors regular

Not US but in UK John Lewis as it usually has three year guarantee. Apple UK’s is two years.

6. jackietreeh0rn macrumors member

I too had the same questions and finally ended up buying a 13" 2018 MBP from the Apple store. Got it delivered yesterday.

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Straight from Apple or Amazon with rewards/discounts. I stopped purchasing from B&H, seems like they must have a lot of bad customer transactions they are really limiting certain returns or exchanges.

8. olindacat thread starter macrumors regular

olindacat

Ya. I used to buy my camera gear from B&H. Spent a huge amount with them and returned a D750 and they made such a stink about it I was shocked. The camera was cheap compared to the other backs I owned so it just seemed like a nickel and dime experience. I will probably go Apple but see an i7 512SsD 15” 32GB ram with AppleCare + for 3200. U opened box. Tempting as I think the Apple.com price is higher. Of course, peace of mind has value too. Thanks for the input.