Where did you buy your Displayport to HDMI cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hooksta, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Hooksta macrumors member

It is my understanding that this is the only adapter I need to run an HDMI cable to and from my new 2010 i5 MacBook Pro to connect to a HDTV. This single connection supposedly carries both HD video and audio...ie so that I can watch Netflix, youtube, on the big screen.

1. Is the information I have correct?
    2. Where did you buy your cable? I mean is Apple's high dollar cable my only option?

Thanks,

2. mikeherdes macrumors member

You can find the cable for a much lower price off ebay. Just look for sellers with good feedback. There's no reason to pay the apple tax on accessory items, you wont notice any difference in quality.

3. 1283956 macrumors newbie

i may be wrong, but i was just looking at dvi vga & hdmi for displayport today and i think its around 10 dollars? either on amazon or newegg

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

monoprice.com is the only place one should buy cables from.

5. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Why? So you can spend more for the exact same thing?

This is liking buying RAM or a HDD in the Mac store. You can get the same or better equipment online for less. Makes no sense to spend more.

6. got2go macrumors member

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Have you ever looked at that site? It is the best ever place to buy cable. Ebay might be cheaper, but with Monoprice, you get quality at a cheap price, and you can trust them.

It's not like if he recommended buying from Monster Cable...:rolleyes:

8. violence macrumors member

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Monoprice is an excellent vendor and I highly recommend them.

10. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Monoprice is fantastic. Some of the best prices for cables I have ever seen. Have you actually been to the website?

Although I do not think monoprice has the cables that pass audio to HDMI yet.

11. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

12. a.jfred macrumors 6502

13. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Yes, been to the website. I got mine off ebay for $6.99 shipped (which does support both video and audio). Works flawlessly and has for months. This is why I said, why pay more when you can get cheaper (and have audio out) by buying from another source (ebay in this case).

14. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Lifetime warranty, no hassle returns etc. Also it's not that much more from monoprice. I do wish they would hurry and make the ones that pass audio. I have always been leery buying things like cables from ebay.

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i think you're getting confused between monoprice and monster.

but anyways, i bought my MDP to HDMI for $10 off monoprice. it's just a straight cable with one end MDP and the other HDMI so i didn't have to buy another HDMI cable. works great.

16. agentmaxwell macrumors newbie

2009 mbp

is there a 1-cable solution for 2009 MBP's? I'm currently using a mini-toslink to toslink cable for audio, just curious if the 2010's are the only supported model.

17. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

2009 models do not support it. I bet this is only a software issue, but who knows :confused:

18. mynewromantica macrumors regular

Be careful when buying on eBay. I bought a Mini DP to DVI adapter there and it worked for my wife's macbook but not my MBP. I thought it was my computer, so I took it n to the genius bar. My computer worked just fine on their displays. So I bought an Apple brand one (on eBay again) and it worked just fine. Altogether, $20. So still better than buying one from Apple.

19. Hooksta thread starter macrumors member

20. ScreamingPsycho macrumors newbie

That's the one I got and it does NOT work. My 2010 Macbook Pro cannot recognize my display with this adapter.

Does anyone know if you can hook up external speakers to your macbook while it is connected to your HDMI display?

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, you can hook up external speakers.

22. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I agree than Monoprice is an excellent source for cable of all kinds. I have also sometimes found the kind of cable I was looking for at Amazon for comparable prices.

23. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a