Where did you buy your Displayport to HDMI cable?

Hooksta

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
It is my understanding that this is the only adapter I need to run an HDMI cable to and from my new 2010 i5 MacBook Pro to connect to a HDTV. This single connection supposedly carries both HD video and audio...ie so that I can watch Netflix, youtube, on the big screen.

1. Is the information I have correct?
2. Where did you buy your cable? I mean is Apple's high dollar cable my only option?

Thanks,

mikeherdes

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
You can find the cable for a much lower price off ebay. Just look for sellers with good feedback. There's no reason to pay the apple tax on accessory items, you wont notice any difference in quality.

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
i may be wrong, but i was just looking at dvi vga & hdmi for displayport today and i think its around 10 dollars? either on amazon or newegg

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
monoprice.com is the only place one should buy cables from.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Why? So you can spend more for the exact same thing?

This is liking buying RAM or a HDD in the Mac store. You can get the same or better equipment online for less. Makes no sense to spend more.
Have you ever looked at that site? It is the best ever place to buy cable. Ebay might be cheaper, but with Monoprice, you get quality at a cheap price, and you can trust them.

It's not like if he recommended buying from Monster Cable...:rolleyes:

Narse77

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010

This is liking buying RAM or a HDD in the Mac store. You can get the same or better equipment online for less. Makes no sense to spend more.
Monoprice is fantastic. Some of the best prices for cables I have ever seen. Have you actually been to the website?

Although I do not think monoprice has the cables that pass audio to HDMI yet.

TZRaceR6

Jun 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Monoprice is fantastic. Some of the best prices for cables I have ever seen. Have you actually been to the website?

Although I do not think monoprice has the cables that pass audio to HDMI yet.
Yes, been to the website. I got mine off ebay for $6.99 shipped (which does support both video and audio). Works flawlessly and has for months. This is why I said, why pay more when you can get cheaper (and have audio out) by buying from another source (ebay in this case).

Narse77

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, been to the website. I got mine off ebay for $6.99 shipped (which does support both video and audio). Works flawlessly and has for months. This is why I said, why pay more when you can get cheaper (and have audio out) by buying from another source (ebay in this case).
Lifetime warranty, no hassle returns etc. Also it's not that much more from monoprice. I do wish they would hurry and make the ones that pass audio. I have always been leery buying things like cables from ebay.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

i think you're getting confused between monoprice and monster.

but anyways, i bought my MDP to HDMI for $10 off monoprice. it's just a straight cable with one end MDP and the other HDMI so i didn't have to buy another HDMI cable. works great.

agentmaxwell

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
2009 mbp

is there a 1-cable solution for 2009 MBP's? I'm currently using a mini-toslink to toslink cable for audio, just curious if the 2010's are the only supported model.

mynewromantica

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
You can find the cable for a much lower price off ebay. Just look for sellers with good feedback. There's no reason to pay the apple tax on accessory items, you wont notice any difference in quality.
Be careful when buying on eBay. I bought a Mini DP to DVI adapter there and it worked for my wife's macbook but not my MBP. I thought it was my computer, so I took it n to the genius bar. My computer worked just fine on their displays. So I bought an Apple brand one (on eBay again) and it worked just fine. Altogether, $20. So still better than buying one from Apple.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
That's the one I got and it does NOT work. My 2010 Macbook Pro cannot recognize my display with this adapter.

Does anyone know if you can hook up external speakers to your macbook while it is connected to your HDMI display?

Yes, you can hook up external speakers.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I agree than Monoprice is an excellent source for cable of all kinds. I have also sometimes found the kind of cable I was looking for at Amazon for comparable prices.