Where do attachments go?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hibanzai, Oct 17, 2011.

1. hibanzai macrumors member

So I can't download attachments and view them from their respected viewers/players (e.g. pictures, viewed in photo album) but I was wondering where do they get stored. They obviously do, as when I download one to view a picture let's say, every time I open the email the picture is displayed right away, where as other attachments simply display the name and size of the file, until you actually open said attachment, then the attachment will be displayed, and keep doing so.

This obviously means those photos are being stored somewhere on my iphone, where though??

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They are encoded and stored within the mail database.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not sure why you say you can't download attachments? What is not working for you?

Tap and hold on a picture in email and select save, it drops into your camera roll. PDFs go into iBooks. Others depend on file format, on mine Word files open to view, then can upload to Dropbox

4. hibanzai thread starter macrumors member

Yah my bad on that one, I was confusing downloading video to photos. Video is never shown in the Video folder. At least for me.

@Intell, how can I manage the database, I'd like to control the cache in my database. I don't want some attachments left there without being able to control them myself. As in delete, or leave them untouched.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You really can't control it. You only way to really clean it out it to delete the message.