where do downloaded attachments from mail save to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondMountains, Jul 5, 2010.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

iphone4

downloaded a file via mail. (gmail)

i can goto the email and view/open the attachment fine but does it save anywhere else?

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

3. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

it didnt give me an option where to save the file to it just downloaded and then i had the option to open it.

4. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I just hold my finger over it like it's a picture, and the option "open in iBooks" popped up

5. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

It depends non the file type and which apps you have installed that are compatible with those file types.

For example, a PDF will open in iBooks as noted. If you had another PDF reader installed, that would come up as an option also. If you had an app that handled Office documents, like quick office, that would be an option for word and excel files.

From there, the app itself would have the option of saving the file to it's own sandbox, or saving them to the cloud such as MobileMe or drop box, if the app supported that.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you have DocsToGo or ReaddleDocs app, you can save it there.

7. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a video that opens with QuickTime Where would that save to?
    Edit.. I see it only saves somewhere if I manually do it. I was thinking it automatically saved.

8. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

no, the only place that tt us "automatically" saved is in your inbox. you may be able to save a video to your camera roll like a picture, not sure.