Where do Entourage mails get saved to?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

For example when I search by the sender's name in Finder, it will list emails that contain the sender's name. But when I want to look for those emails in User/Library/Caches/Metadata/Microsoft.... or wherever all I get is a bunch of numbered emails like "1.vRge08Message" and up to whatever number of emails I got in Entourage.

Why doesn't it display emails by the sender's name like it did when I searched for them in Finder?

2. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not sure why, but it's probably just the way that Entourage sets up the database.

Quick question. Why do you need to search for e-mail from Finder? Couldn't you do that just as easily from within Entourage?

4. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I could, but I was just wondering if I wanted to do a backup of my emails on computer, I'd wish to store them into folders like they are in Entourage. Now how can I do that when they are not named by the sender but only "1.vRge08Message", "2.vRge08Message" ........ "569.vRge08Message" etc.?

The curious thing is that when I enter the email sender's name in Finder, it will actually list emails from that sender, but when I try to look for them, all I get is those "*.vRge08Message".... Why??

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Not sure how to do that.

As for the Finder search being able to find a sender's name ... it's probably because finder is actually looking inside the message file and the sender's name is searchable.

I'm not at my Mac right now, but what if you used Spotlight? Does it show more than a simple Finder search?

6. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, as a matter of fact Finder will find more if I search by the sender's name...

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Btw, what if I just drag certain folder with my emails onto my desktop and it becomes a file with a .mbox extension - is this it?