Where do I buy a new HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BHSLC, Aug 24, 2012.

1. BHSLC macrumors newbie

Sadly, when I went from Snow L. to ML, it appears to have fried the Hard Drive, and I need to go buy a new one (cheaper than new laptop, and cheaper than $755 flat rate Apple charges to 'fix' what they can't even diagnose yet).

I don't know where to look for Hard Drives, or which I need.

The Mac is from 07 or 08 (not exactly sure) and it's 17" 2.4 GHz.

Not sure what the MBP can handle, or where to buy.

Suggestions on where to determine this? Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

Newegg.com has some to offer, and as you have a 17" MBP, you can use any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

And since Mister GGJstudios alludes to something else, bastard, could the problem be related to the GPU?
    MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, what makes you think the hard drive is dead? Simply upgrading to a new version of Mac OS X will not damage a drive in any way.

4. BHSLC thread starter macrumors newbie

Have read quite a few comments from others who have said that their HDs have failed as a result of upgrade. They've said that Apple has said their HD was fried, and that it probably had an issue before and the upgrade took it over the top. Can't guarantee that's what it is, but since others have had similar issues, it's a possibility.

However, Mac store now says it could also be the circuit board. Mac worked fine before the upgrade/download/attempted install of ML, and now it won't even boot. Was hoping to try new HD to see if it's that as first option. THX for the comment.

----------

thank you.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Hard to believe that upgrading the OS would "fry" or otherwise damage either a hard disk or system board! Even more so that it would be a common occurrence!!

Dig out your system DVD disks and boot from the disk, then use "Disk Utility" to take a look at your hard disk. You may have to run the repair utility, or even repartition and format the disk and reinstall the OS.

I would try that before arbitrarily replacing the hard disk.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many who erroneously attribute problems to the wrong source. Upgrading to a new OS cannot in any way cause a drive to fail. I would let Apple check out your system before you spend money on a new drive that may or may not solve your problem.