Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
why doesn't the update appear on appfresh? I have updates set on automatically update in Firefox but it shows nothing. Im new to Firefox, this will be the first update for me.

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
I find it really stupid that Firefox doesn't alert for "big" updates, and expects you to find them on your own.

Aronnax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
why doesn't the update appear on appfresh? I have updates set on automatically update in Firefox but it shows nothing. Im new to Firefox, this will be the first update for me.

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2009/0...-security-updates-now-available-for-download/

If you already have Firefox 3.5 or Firefox 3, you will receive an automated update notification within 24 to 48 hours. This update can also be applied manually by selecting “Check for Updates…” from the Help menu.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
OP, so having Auto Update enabled doesn't work for you?

At my workplace, a lot of the Windows machine do automatically update Firefox, even my Firefox, if I even use it.

update2.jpg

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Update does not work for me yet either.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 53

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I find it really stupid that Firefox doesn't alert for "big" updates, and expects you to find them on your own.

if you care, you wouldn't mind.
if you dont care, mozilla will push the 3.5 as major update eventually. and update will be installed automatically.

There is no forced "find on your own".

Mozilla understand there are people out there who has addons that they need to care about, and for many other issue they might worry about. So they dont instantly push a big new version. Same as MS handling IE, not to say IE is a good product, but good business model who actually care about their users give more time for big version update for their users, rather than pushing everything down right away with no way of being sure about consequences.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Precisely. Mozilla is waiting for all the 'noise' to settle down in add-on updates, plus their own updates to Firefox itself before making 3.5 an update that auto-notifies 3.0 users.

Salmar

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Florida
Even though I have firefox set to automatically download updates, it doesn't always do it. But the best way is to just click on help and click on "check for updates", and that will show whether there is an update or not. I do it that way all the time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.