Where do I find iMac hardware configuration?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dubina, May 14, 2013.

1. dubina macrumors member

I normally use a PC.

I connected an Android tablet to the iMac by way of a USB cable, hoping to download some files from the tablet. The iMac or Android or both didn't like the connection, but I don't know where to view the connection if iMac shows one. I don't find it in Finder and I don't know where to look otherwise.

Advice?

2. simsaladimbamba

Normally the USB cable is used for charging or data transfer to a flash memory card in the device.
    Maybe give this a try, found via this.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can see USB connected device in System Information which is located in your /Applications/Utilities Folder.
    But I think you need to switch on Mass storage on the android device, if you do so it should show up in Finder.

4. dubina thread starter macrumors member

@ simsa,

Drag and drop in dropbox might work for me. I'm not sure; I have dropbox on both devices.

I have some files in the Android Dropbox, but not the files I want to port to the iMac. I put the files in the Android Dropbox by mousing them in on my PC Dropbox. I don't know how to move Android files into the Dropbox...no mouse and I have not played with Android enough to know how to do it otherwise. I do not have access to the PC now.

So how to load Android files in the Android Dropbox?

----------

@ JP,

I don't know how to switch on mass storage on the Android. Can you point me in that direction?

Thanks.

5. simsaladimbamba

Like this perhaps? More can be found via a www search like this.

6. dubina thread starter macrumors member

@ simsa,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with Android 4.1.1.

Under "Wireless and Network" I have no "USB Utility".

Any work-around for that?

7. simsaladimbamba

I do not have Android, thus I do not know anymore. Haven't you had any luck searching the preferences of your phone or the www?

8. dubina thread starter macrumors member

OK, I'm a really old Noob. I have searched the web and found some leads, like turning on mass storage ... I guess to get the USB thing to work, but then I found turning on mass storage isn't such an easy thing to do either. I don't know what you mean by "phone preferences". I don't use my Tab as a phone. It has settings, but no "USB Utility" under "Wireless and Networks".

Much easier last year to move files from my C to the Samsung tablet. Why not do the same from Tablet to IMac?