Where do I find iMac hardware configuration?

dubina

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
I normally use a PC.

I connected an Android tablet to the iMac by way of a USB cable, hoping to download some files from the tablet. The iMac or Android or both didn't like the connection, but I don't know where to view the connection if iMac shows one. I don't find it in Finder and I don't know where to look otherwise.

Advice?

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
You can see USB connected device in System Information which is located in your /Applications/Utilities Folder.
But I think you need to switch on Mass storage on the android device, if you do so it should show up in Finder.

dubina

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Normally the USB cable is used for charging or data transfer to a flash memory card in the device.
Maybe give this a try, found via this.
@ simsa,

Drag and drop in dropbox might work for me. I'm not sure; I have dropbox on both devices.

I have some files in the Android Dropbox, but not the files I want to port to the iMac. I put the files in the Android Dropbox by mousing them in on my PC Dropbox. I don't know how to move Android files into the Dropbox...no mouse and I have not played with Android enough to know how to do it otherwise. I do not have access to the PC now.

So how to load Android files in the Android Dropbox?

----------

You can see USB connected device in System Information which is located in your /Applications/Utilities Folder.
But I think you need to switch on Mass storage on the android device, if you do so it should show up in Finder.
@ JP,

I don't know how to switch on mass storage on the Android. Can you point me in that direction?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
@ simsa,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with Android 4.1.1.

Under "Wireless and Network" I have no "USB Utility".

Any work-around for that?
I do not have Android, thus I do not know anymore. Haven't you had any luck searching the preferences of your phone or the www?

dubina

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
I do not have Android, thus I do not know anymore. Haven't you had any luck searching the preferences of your phone or the www?
OK, I'm a really old Noob. I have searched the web and found some leads, like turning on mass storage ... I guess to get the USB thing to work, but then I found turning on mass storage isn't such an easy thing to do either. I don't know what you mean by "phone preferences". I don't use my Tab as a phone. It has settings, but no "USB Utility" under "Wireless and Networks".

Much easier last year to move files from my C to the Samsung tablet. Why not do the same from Tablet to IMac?