Where do I find some help for Mac Word questions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by manyrains, Nov 26, 2009.

1. manyrains macrumors member

Can anyone tell me where to get some help for numerous questions I have about Word 2008 for Mac?
    I haven't gotten a lot of help here, but realize it's more for Mac issues than Microsoft software.
    I've tried the Microsoft Office forum but there seems to be very little help there.
    I bought this big, expensive book on Office for Macintosh and have found it worthless- while it is huge- almost too much information to find anything- I have not found one answer to a specific issue I've looked for in it.

In case anyone here can help- here are the two issues I've got right now.
    1. Is it possible to have landscape and portrait pages in the same file. If so, how?

2. No toolbars are present when I open docs. Although "Standard" and Formatting" are checked in the View-Toolbars menu, I have to unclick them, click them again, then click on the doc itself and they appear.

I'd appreciate any help. Sorry for ranting. Just frustrated.
    Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Asking for help here in the Mac Applications forum is about as good an option as any.

For #1, yes, it is possible. You have to insert a section break, and then use Page Setup to change the orientation of the page (applying it only to the section), and then another section break (if you wish to change back), and then format the page setup again. So each section of the document (in Word's conception of a section) can have a different page setup, including landscape vs. portrait pages. Alternatively you can create the two section breaks first, and then just do the page setup inside the alternative section in the middle.

This is an example of a walkthrough from my university (I had to do this on my doctoral dissertation).

http://etd.helpdesk.ufl.edu/present/landscape.html

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I use Word 2008, and if I ever need help I just use the help menu. It has online content direct into the usergroups so you can read posted related content to your help query. Very helpful if the localized help menu doesn't solve the issue. Just go, "help, word help, then go online if needed". A vast
    plethora of info there for ya.
    Google "Microsoft Word Mac User Groups" and you will find a lot of helpful forums.

4. manyrains thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much to both. Found answer to #2 in Mac user group. One more thing to be grateful for today!

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

It is good to get the answer. But perhaps you could share it here as well, so that others may learn from your digging. Thanks. :)

6. manyrains thread starter macrumors member

The oblong box in upper right corner opens and closes toolbars. It appears that clicking that box on one doc makes other docs open to same configuration(?). In other words, my other docs are opening fine now also.