Where do I get this forum software?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rtztgue, May 4, 2011.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

I am thinking of staring a forum for my business and I like the software that this forum uses. It seems popular among other forums as well. Any idea of the name of it, where to get it, how much it costs, etc????

Also, I imagine they are a lot of work to update and keep running. Is anyone familiar with the logistics of how to operate one regarding advertising, upkeep, time input etc. I am sure it takes quite a bit of time (especially up front). It would be nice if there were already a how to guideline for getting ads and such and that it is way to much to go into on this thread.

2. miles01110, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

You actually CANT get this version of the forum anymore, this forum has been around a long time and uses a currently unsupported version of vBulletin.

The new version Vbulletin 4 is quite different but still primarily functions the same way.

You are correct that most of the time spent is on setup..time spent after that really depends on how well you setup your forum..

I have a board ive been running for a small group of hardware enthusiasts for several years now. Once I got the board configured the way I wanted, setup appropriate anti botting features and auto backups, I can pretty much step away from the site for months at a time and everything continues to run smooth. Keep in mind my board only has 5-10 active members. A site like MR takes a much more dedicated staff to keep running with tens of thousands of active members.

There are also many free forum software packages available if you dont want to shell out the $200 fee..

Such as: phpbb, smf and mybb (very similar to vBulletin)