Where do I hook up the in ceiling speakers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, Dec 16, 2009.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

We just moved into the new house, and have the proper good speakers hooked up..well properly. But the dining room and outside have some in ceiling speakers, that we would like to utilize.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows where the wiring could possibly be :s?

Thanks~~

-Omi

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Go Shawshank and shimmy your way around the attic to follow the bi-wires.

3. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Is there a built in entertainment center in the house? Can you guess where the previous owners might have put an EC? The wires have to come out of a wall somewhere. Speaker cables are pretty easy to identify.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Then there's the chance that there's some holes in your walls with nothing coming out of them because the previous owners pushed the wires back in. After you have had a good look around then the attic is your best bet and it's rather easy to spot bi-wires, as well you know you can get to the source of the wires (the speakers) because SOMEONE had to put them there in the first place, right? :p

5. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

It is also possible that they are in the basement near the electrical panel or cable wiring. Many new home builders put them there as a default...

6. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Did a half hearted attempt at doing that, but entire attic is pretty much filled with mountains of white fluffy insulation a couple feet high... :s
    There is a closet with a big hole in the wall, BUT the cables coming out of it don't look like speaker cables. Should I take a piccy?

No basement, and this ain't a new home ;)

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Pics are always good...ALWAYS! Unless it involves Sarah Jessica Parker -.-'

8. bainesajay macrumors member

Have You

Have you tried climbing in the Jeffrey's tube and doing a manual scan?

J/K

I would try something really close to the speaker, most older speakers used convential wiring or banana plugs and the shielding was not designed to go far distances. If you can get to the back of the speaker you can do a continuity test with a multi meter.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If all else fails, carefully unclip one of the speakers and (a) check the direction the wire is heading in, and (b) jiggle the wire in the hope that a second party can hear where the other end is moving.

11. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

OK, not a new home.:D One guy I know bought an older house and it had the hook-ups for speakers in a lower cabinet in the kitchen. Everything else has pretty much been touched on. Good luck!