Where do I pay my iPhone 4S Preorder Deposit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by devongovett, Oct 8, 2011.

1. devongovett macrumors newbie

Hello all!

Last night, I, along with many many others preordered a new iPhone 4S. This will be my first phone with AT&T. Like many people, I had to try many times, but eventually got through and received a "reservation number" that basically told me that they would email me when AT&T's servers were less busy and they could finish processing my order. I went to bed thinking everything would be all set.

I woke up to a second email from Apple, saying that because I don't have a credit history, I would need to pay a $500 deposit before I could obtain service. A hit indeed, but I decided I'd take it. They also said that "Unfortunately, we are unable to complete the set up of your carrier account online and you will need to visit an Apple Retail Store in order to pay this deposit and complete your iPhone purchase." Um, okay... Going to the status website for my reservation told me that I have until October 8 at 5:00 PM PDT to complete my eligibility and order, which consists of paying the deposit and finishing the setup process.

So I went to an Apple Retail Store this afternoon and showed them this email hoping that I would be able to pay the deposit and be on my merry way. Unfortuately, the Apple store seemed completely oblivious of such a deposit and couldn't help me, except to send me to the AT&T store. Alright. So I went over to the AT&T store and they knew about the deposit, but were already out of iPhones for another 2 weeks or so. Now the Apple website says 1-2 weeks as well. So I didn't want to start another whole order at AT&T because I have this reservation to receive an iPhone on October 14th as I had ordered it last night.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure what I should do here. I want to take advantage of that reservation as it will get my iPhone here quicker, but not sure how to go about paying the deposit so I can finish configuring my order. Apple phone support was also unhelpful. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
    Devon

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Paypal the $500 to me and I'll take care of it for you.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You will get the deposit back, so long as you can maintain decent credit and pay your bills on time.

4. devongovett thread starter macrumors newbie

theDUB: haha, nice try. :)

Yes, I realize I will get the deposit back, I just wondered if anyone had had this experience because the Apple Store doesn't seem to know about it even though they should.