Where Do I Stand On This Then

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mattydj, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To what time period is the charge tied? Does the entire time period fall outside your window of service (i.e. after your account was canceled)? Assuming it does, I think you absolutely have a leg to stand on with respect to the post-cancellation charge. Initiate a PayPal dispute.

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Did you agree to his ToS? Does he change them at will? He can do a lot If you agreed to it and get away with it. But if he terminated your account and is still charging threaten him with a law suit.

(forgive my Americanness here...)
    do you have the equivalent of a law suit or a law suit over there?
    Also a ToS agreement might have more or less leverage than here.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He's 13. Technically, you have to be 18 to sign up for a Paypal account. He should've never had it in the first place.

4. Mattydj thread starter macrumors regular

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

IANAL, especially when it comes to law across the pond, but I somehow doubt it's legal for a 13 year old to own a business, which I believe is one requirement for having a PayPal business account.

Unless mommy and daddy are helping him. In any case, I'd file a PayPal dispute.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That seems to be the most logical approach.

7. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Get your money back, then report him to PayPal so he loses his account.

8. Mattydj thread starter macrumors regular

9. Mattydj thread starter macrumors regular

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

tell your bank its an unauthroized charge and dispute it

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Standard practice not just of 13 year olds but also companies.

Two years ago I fought with my hosting company (I'm still with them) because they renewed my yearly hosting service and charged me a full year. I had forgot about it entirely and had wanted to switch to a monthly subscription in case I wanted to leave. According to the TOS I agreed to, the renewals are automatic and nonrefundable. So I asked that instead they cancel my yearly renewal and move the money to a monthly subscription (newly created) instead. They refused.

So I desputed the charge with American Express. And despite the fact that I agreed to the TOS, they decided in my favor and refunded me a 100% of the charge.

I love American Express. Their rationale was that even though I agreed, the charge was for services I no longer received since I had cancelled the yearly account and charging for undelivered/unreceived services is against their TOS with the merchant.

Hopefully you can make similar argument with Paypal.

Honestly, I pay for AMEX's membership unlike all my other cards simply because of their superior service and the fact that they are watching out for me.