Where do music shops get Cd's from

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Merthyrboy, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Hi I'm just wondering but where do record shops get their CD's from? I'm on about like little independent shops not like HMV, Tescos or Amazon. Just doesn't seem likely that they would buy them from like Amazon then sell them on for like a $1 or £1 more.

2. nOw2 macrumors regular

Small shops get them from the same places that HMV, Tesco or Amazon do. Wholesalers in most situations, or sometimes direct from publishers.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

To my understanding, smaller shops make a very small profit margin on new CDs, which is why some smaller shops often do things such as: used CDs, used and new movies, Laserdiscs, books/magazines, food, Zippos, vitamins, energy drinks, smoking accessories, new and used vinyl, Beta, limited edition/valuable editions not seen most places, electronics, etc.

Some of the oddball stuff they carry they seem to get from a variety of small retailers or publishing companies that makes or remakes niche market/cult following media. Some also purchase from individual collectors for out of print stuff.

4. Merthyrboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick replies. I did a quick google on them and some of the stuff I found you can get like a random selection of Cd's for 0.58p don't know how good the CD's are though but still pretty cheap.

5. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I've got a hundred or so, interested in buying them?

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Interesting question. I read somewhere when you buy a CD around half goes to the store, and the rest to the record company. Very little actually goes to the artists; they tend to make the money via concerts and merchandise. That's what I read anyway.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The small guys get their stock from the same place the big guys get their stock from - the distributor/supplier.

The difference is that the big companies like HMV all have off-shore distribution centres where all the stock goes first. In the UK, if a product is under (I think) £18, then it becomes import-tax exempt. HMV, Amazon etc all ship their CDs from their off-shore distribution centres, which allows them to be sold for less.

It's a stupid loop-hole in the law which has really helped to destroy the indie stores. This, combined with the obscene drop in record sales is just ruining the record-store industry.

Shame, I've always found it easier to discover great music to a specific taste in record shops than on the internet (surprising I know, but good record stores really know their music).